Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Jiggity jig

We returned home without incident. Our final day we had a pleasant beach day including some shore snorkeling, and then the morning of our departure we hung out at the resort beach. I’ve never done that before - had a beach day followed immediately by packing up and flying home. It was odd, but it worked. 

Considering how much outsized anxiety I had before and during this trip, I’d like to now list all of the things I thought could go wrong, that didn’t:

None of us caught covid before the trip, preventing the trip entirely
None of our reservations were canceled or delayed due to covid/weather/lack of staffing
Nobody drowned
Nobody fell off a cliff
Nobody was in a car accident before or during the trip
We didn’t go to bed with no dinner at any point, even though almost every night it looked like this would happen
We were not rained out
Our car sharing app was not a scam
Nobody developed covid symptoms during the trip
Nobody got eaten by a shark
Our return flight was not canceled nor delayed
Neither flight was grounded due to out of control right wing idiots
We did not dent the car share car
We survived the road to Hana without incident
Nobody got sunburnt
My frozen(?) hip was a pain but didn’t prevent me from doing anything
I didn’t lose my engagement ring
No wallets were stolen or lost
We didn’t forget to return the rented boogie boards
My car started after sitting for a week (my car has issues with this)
Other than the bathroom sink being overtaken by ants, the house was unmolested
The cat was alive upon return

So far nobody appears to have covid, but I plan on testing in the next couple of days since I have gigs starting Thursday. I’m sincerely wishing they will cancel - many other NYE events have. But I’m preparing to tough it out if they don’t.

It’s a profoundly strange time. In just a few short days, California’s covid test rates have exceeded those of the worst of the summer surge, and in most states/countries it’s far, far worse…many predict there are going to be more cases than we can even test for. Many families I know currently have it or are recovering. Pretty much everyone is going to catch this thing; it’s just a question of when. Which is profoundly unsettling. It makes me feel like the end of pregnancy again…you’re going to go through this thing called giving birth, and there’s no getting around it, and you know you’re going to suffer, and you don’t know when it’s going to happen, but it’s going to happen. You also don’t know what the aftereffects are going to be and when (if?) you’ll feel normal again. All of this uncertainty makes for a very dark nihilistic mood. You still want to be careful, and yet you sort of want to just get it over with, and yet you kind of don’t care any more, and yet you’re still afraid. 

And yet, like some, I’m clinging to the hope that this is actually the beginning of the end, that everyone catches this milder (?) variant, gets immunity, and the whole thing dies out. The F is convinced of this. The east coast NYE event has begun for the week; people respect the organizers and so are reluctant to say much publicly, but I’ve seen private rumblings that people can’t believe they actually went through with it, and that there’s no way people won’t catch covid there. I think they probably couldn’t get out of their hotel contract and decided to muscle through. I think the odds of nobody catching covid there are slim to none. It will be interesting to see what happens after the attendees return home in a few days. 

I for one am very content to spend the next two weeks more or less in bed, waiting to see what happens with the boys’ school. I’m glad that other than a couple of desert trips we have no travel plans at all for the foreseeable future. 




No comments:

Post a Comment