Monday, February 8, 2021

Week 5,897

Our numbers continue to plummet, but we’re still in the same situation we were last week - not enough vaccines, no idea when school will open. Sigh. The minutes fly like hours.

I was however able to see a couple of friends I hadn’t seen in months over the weekend thanks to the return of outdoor dining and newly acquired N95 masks. I drove up to Ventura on Saturday to see a florist friend who’s shop had to refuse all future Valentine’s orders because they are so inundated with funerals (how fucking depressing is that), and Sunday got my hair done and then had outdoor lunch with a book club friend. We all want to stomp our feet with frustration and shout “no! I don’t want this!!!” to the void, but nobody will hear it or care, especially when everyone is doing the same. Tensions are high about school, but I have to say, I’m with the teachers on this one (acknowledging fully that I have the privilege of not having children or a career who have/that has been harmed by schools being closed). I don’t really care if agencies that have been wrong many times say schools can open without teachers being vaccinated and it should be fine...how do we know that, especially with new variants? There’s no guarantee. I say we wait. Forcing adults into a potentially harmful situation sounds bad to me (although again I recognize people are forced into harm every day working with the public). 

Today I set up my ring light to take the boys’ school photos for their yearbook. They didn’t come out great - I could not get these kids to smile naturally no matter what I did - but they’re not terrible, and certainly show just how big these kids have gotten this year. They’re growing like weeds. 







No comments:

Post a Comment