Thursday, July 23, 2020

School daze

Today the BF went up to the school to pick up the boys’ yearbooks. In looking through the pages, it made me profoundly sad to see all of the kids and teachers and parents, the fun activities and events we were part of last year (the annual pancake breakfast in September, the Halloween Carnival), not to mention the well-rounded education the kids were getting in actual school - drama, music, gardening, field trips, etc. I can guarantee anything this fall is off; winter probably too. Spring? Maybe?

On everyone’s minds is what our lives are going to look like in three weeks. LAUSD says there will be roll call and accountability; but what does that mean, exactly? Are we going to have to be on computers at 8 AM (please god no) - are the teachers going to interact with the kids more? Are we going to be tied into a certain schedule? For selfish reasons I kind of want things to be the way they were last spring - as long as you hand in all your work at the end of the week, that’s enough. And just one 10AM zoom meeting a week. I don’t want to be dragged out of bed early and I want us to still be able to go on mid-week camping trips through September and October. But I know both of those things will probably not go the way I want, so I’m prepared. We camp this weekend and last night I booked one last hurrah Kern River camping trip during the week before they start school. Taking full advantage of two kids off school and two parents out of work for as long as both things last. 

Lots of good news about future vaccines...the BF thinks we could have something available by winter/spring. However, many people I know are already saying they won’t get it. I know the rushed nature of the vaccine is scary...I’m not a fan, either. But. We will be getting it. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when there is a vaccine...all the crazy that that new element will bring out and create...and decisions that business owners like me will have to make. Will you only allow vaccinated people on your premises? Will it matter? Will everything be normal again and this year of hell forgotten? Can I have an event in 2021? Will anyone come? The questions never end. 

I’m still waiting for about 75 people to contact me about refunds. I anticipate about $60,000 refunded out of my pocket, which isn’t terrible. I hope they offer a second round of PPP loans; that would really help me a lot. Still don’t know what to do about my car lease ending in November. I’m thinking just buy the car, but I’m afraid of what even that will cost. I think my dream of an electric car is a few years off now. Sigh.

The boys are enjoying days of unbridled video game playing and gamer video watching. I would say it’s not good for them...but...they’re really ok. I think we break it up enough with outside jaunts and camping and pool days that they seem to have balance in their lives...? They seem happy and secure and well-adjusted. Bobby is going through a very sweet phase and I dread the tween years (possibly) turning him into something unrecognizable - as I’m sure it did for me at that age. Theo is a ball of energy and is overwhelming at the best of times...is it a younger brother thing? The older sibling always cautious and serious, the younger brash and fearless? This seems to be a true dynamic for many siblings I know. Is it because the older child gets the mother’s anxiety and the younger gets the mother’s exhaustion? I prefer to think of it as the older child gets the mother’s enthusiasm and the younger gets the mother’s experience. In the end it’s probably a little of both.




No comments:

Post a Comment