Saturday, July 4, 2020

Happy 4th...?

As my Facebook feed has been curated to pretty much nothing but the ultra-woke, nobody appears to be celebrating today. One, we couldn’t celebrate if we wanted to; two, there’s not much to celebrate right now, and three - surprise, white people, guess what? This country has sucked for everyone except you for hundreds of years. So I’ll use my favorite California phrase here - “yeah, no”.

Tomorrow we leave for Malibu creek for camping until Weds. This will be the first time we’ve camped without another family with kids, so I’m a bit nervous we’ll be bored. It’s a beautiful spot with a beach nearby, though, and beaches will be open as of Monday. So hopefully we can occupy ourselves with that during the day. 

I’m nervous about my online event. I’m having a hard time getting pro-level competitors to sign up for contests - they are used to wandering in the day of and registering. So all of my pro level contests are in danger of being canceled, because the cut off has to be a month and a half out. I will continue to hustle and contact people directly, but it’s stressful. And of course everything is taking too long, people are not responding to emails, and time is running out. I still haven’t heard from 150 people who paid for the event even though I’ve now emailed multiple times. I have not been able to nail down a schedule that makes sense. Turns out it’s really, really hard to do something you’ve never done before...especially when no one else has done it before, either, and especially when you’re in the middle of a pandemic and everyone is scared, depressed, and lethargic. This is why I’m not charging for the event - I have no idea what the end product is going to look like. But right now it’s stressing me out.

The BF has ramped up his job search. I’m trying not to panic because he hasn’t even gone on an interview yet - but he made a comment this morning that if he does get one of these daytime printing jobs he’ll then go work at his other job on nights and all weekend. What? That’s not at all what we discussed. No, I am not going to be left in charge of homeschooling two young kids in two different grades alone all day, just to be stuck alone with them all night and all weekend while he lives here like it’s a fucking hotel. That is not happening. But no reason to lose my shit yet. As mentioned, he hasn’t even interviewed yet, and his other job can’t come back until the economy comes back and bars and nightclubs open to full capacity, which can’t happen until life is pretty much normal, which means kids will be in school (I’m assuming). But the fact that he even said that irritates the fuck out of me. I think there are going to be a lot of couples in our situation who for some months had a very present, helpful partner, only to see that person completely disappear and fall back into old habits the minute their job came back. Yeah, I’m not letting that happen quietly around here. He’s going to have to do what women are forced to do every day - sacrifice career opportunities for the sake of work-life balance. Welcome to our world. 




1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through Authentic Choices. Kudos to you for advocating for yourself. Homeschooling two kids during the day and then handling everything at night and on weekends doesn't sound...fun. To say the least.

    ReplyDelete