Thursday, June 11, 2020

Penultimate day of school

We finished up both boys’ final school projects today. Bobby presented his fire ant diorama via zoom, and Theo did his last scholastic reading assignment. Tomorrow they both participate in their final zoom sessions with teachers and classmates, we hand over the chrome books, and that’s it.

I have to say, I feel sad about it. I’m sad for the teachers and the kids who aren’t doing so great and the parents of kids who aren’t doing so great. My kids? My kids couldn’t care less about any of it.

LAUSD sent a survey about what school re-opening in the fall could look like and what our wants/needs are. I said I preferred the hybrid approach - some school and some home school. My guess is this will be the preferred method. But it’s entirely possible that as of August there will be no in-person school at all, with just a promise to revisit that option as the months pass. Me? I highly doubt the virus will diminish as it gets colder. I think we’re all in for a rough ride this winter. Again I’m glad that my kids are young enough that whatever sub-par schooling they’re receiving now won’t really affect them later. I feel bad for the older kids, the kids trying to start college, the kids transitioning to middle or high school. Or starting kindergarten during this mess! At least Theo got a normal start to his year. I think back to that first day of school with all the kindergarten parents and kids packed into the MPR, each kid called up to meet their new teacher (Theo was first!), some crying, some skipping with joy. Even now it seems unimaginable that we’ll have those group ritual events ever again. 

I’m worried for the future of my event. Between the virus (which many say will be part of our lives for years) and the race issues (why should white people continue to capitalize on a black art form?) and just basic economics, I’m terrified I may never return to my former glory. Even if I can safely have an event in a year, or even 2022 - how many people will still want to/afford to do this? Will we be back to the old days of having just the hard core people, back in the early 2000s when I struggled to even get 600 people to show up (for reference, I’ve been at three times that capacity for several years). I’m starting to question that I’m going to bounce back. I’m starting to feel like this is going to take a massive rebuilding from the rubble. The good news? Very few other events will survive this, so I will attract all those who want to go to events but now have far fewer options. The bad news? How many people will drift away over the next year or two and never return? Swing dancing is an addiction. The more it’s available the more addicted you are. Take away the substance and there goes the addiction. The addictive behavior will find a better substance to be addicted to. 

Governor Ige of Hawaii officially extended his fourteen day quarantine for island visitors to July 31st, marking the end of my hopes of a birthday trip. Within two clicks my hotel reservation and flights were canceled. The good news? I now have tons of miles and hotel points to use for any number of trips - even Hawaii again when it’s safe. The bad news? Word on the street is Hawaii is reconsidering its dependence on tourism (as must be most tourist heavy places). Who knows if Hawaii will even be a viable destination after this. 

Two nights ago I sat with a notary and signed all of my loan paperwork for an hour and a half. I also signed a paper that they can still require more paperwork from me, even now, before funding, which is set to happen Monday morning. Late last night I was sent a certification letter I had to sign promising that my income has not been affected by the pandemic, nor will it. Yeah, right. My mortgage is now about to be paid by my mortgage for the foreseeable future. I still don’t feel like I can exhale yet. They can still cancel the whole process at the last second. When I see that money in my account, then yes. And then follows a whole avalanche of things - announcing the closure of my event, announcing the virtual event, closing registration, starting to issue refunds. 

I am attempting to replace my Hawaii birthday trip with an RV or trailer trip...somewhere. It’s complicated because most campgrounds are still closed, I don’t know shit about camping with vehicles for that purpose, and the spaces that are available and desirable are all booked solid because everyone is doing exactly what we’re doing. Also, it is far from cheap and I hate the idea of spending money right now. But sitting at home bored AF on my birthday when I should have been in Kauai is not acceptable, so plan I must. 


No comments:

Post a Comment