Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Boop

Out of nowhere my $1000 Economic Injury Grant (loan?) has arrived in my bank account. It was supposed to be “up to” $10,000 - until it was amended to be $1000 per employee. Which sucks. But it’s better than nothing, and I’m grateful for it. Also, new funds for the Payroll Protection program have been approved today, and both banks I applied to asked for documentation so I can get in line. That will get me $10,000. This is all a drop in the bucket compared to what I need tp survive shutting down this year, but it’s all better than nothing. And after last week’s freak out over no results from these loan applications, I’m glad to see some movement. At this moment I’m very glad I formed an LLC and am on payroll so I have lots of very clear documentation that’s easy to get. All of this would be a lot messier if I were still a sole proprietorship.

Right now I am still holding out hope that there will be a way to run my event - testing people as they walk in, for example - assuming the state even allows smaller events like mine by then. It’s a long shot, but a lot can happen in the next couple of months as far as testing, treatments, etc. Even if I have to run a half-full event and take a loss, I can do it - remember, half full is about where my numbers were just a few years ago. The other swing dance event on my weekend reached out to me to ask where my thoughts are right now - I thought they had already canceled, but apparently they haven’t even opened for registration yet. I told them what I’m telling everyone - I’m not deciding until July, unless it’s decided for me. It’s only April. Just sit tight. 

I despair a bit when I see reports of Disneyland being closed possibly until 2022 and schools opening in the fall only doing staggered days/times...I don’t know why this bugs me so much; I should be glad they’re considering opening at all, and even a couple of days of school a week are better than none. But it still bugs me. 

One thing I’m not sad about is knowing that everyone else is grounded, too. There is a certain freedom in not having to be anywhere, in not being obligated to show up for something when you don’t want to. I guess that’s the introvert in me - my life was based around the home anyway, and nightlife was a distant memory due to kids/age. So for once I don’t feel left out. Nobody’s taking awesome trips or getting international gigs or waxing poetic about some amazing dance event they went to that isn’t mine. No, everyone’s at home baking bread (how is everyone eating all this bread? I don’t get it). Everyone is doing what I’m doing - loading and unloading the dishwasher 10,000 times a day and scooping cat hair out of the corners. That’s it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment