Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Starting Over

I'm sitting in the car in a Men's Wearhouse parking lot, eating two Krispy Kreme donuts and an iced coffee. I'll have it be known I've had maybe two iced coffees in my entire life and am a little concerned it'll make me jittery. But I just needed...something. So for right now the #1 donut combo was it.

I'm having a rough day. Woke up to rat bites in my last two avocados on my kitchen table, which means the rats are back. Which means I feel all grossed out in my house again.

And now it's become apparent that this boy is advancing so rapidly that almost none of my current methods to entertain/contain/soothe him are going to work anymore.

I can't leave him on the bathroom floor to crawl around as I shower anymore because he now: pulls himself up to standing and then falls full on his back, clunking his head on the toilet; can open the garbage can and inspect its contents; is fascinated by the electrical outlet; and wants to eat the plumbing.

He is seconds away from crawling out of the crib and into the bed (with resultant rolling onto floor). Even without this, he can pull up to standing and then of course fall straight back, cracking his skull open.

I can't have him on the floor with his toys anymore because he can crawl into the fireplace quicker than I can jump up and grab him. Also pulls up to standing and falls back, cracking skull (do you sense a theme here?).

I can't have him in the swing much longer because he's now lurching forward, and soon will be able to flip it over.

The pack 'n play and jumperoo are still good, thank God. But he can't stay in those for long. And still manages to pull himself up in the p 'n p and fall over, cracking his skull on some toy I thought was safe.

All of these new developments happened in the last couple of days. And last night's attempt at getting him to bed at a normal time was an utter failure - spent hours nursing, rocking, ignoring, whatever, only to give up and plunk him in the jumperoo where he then fell asleep standing up (only to wake up when I pulled him out of it).

To top everything off the poor little guy has a full blown cold - runny nose, bad cough, etc. So he's already uncomfortable, and here he's making all these developmental leaps, and I'm trying to get him to bed earlier because he seems over-tired, and he's mangling my nipples again, so I'm in pain and sleep deprived and miserable. And all of my usual tricks are now irrelevant and useless, and I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm starting over with a newborn, but one that won't stay put.

And I just went to the post office and discovered a big red bite on one cheek, so obviously some bug or spider was in the car and bit him.

Before I had a baby I always pictured six months as being a really nice age. Maybe it will be once we get past this transitional period. But right now it just sucks.

Help!

3 comments:

  1. crawling and pulling to a stand at 6 months???

    wow! you have my sympathies.

    I think it's an especially rude awakening (for mothers) with boys. Us moms with girls will get our payback in adolescence. (Gross generalization, of course.)

    If it's any consolation, Amazon has every known babyproofing device known to womankind. I have to order a foam "noodle" to put over the heating pipe in the bathroom... hopefully I will do this tonight.

    Also, playgrounds are your new best friend. A nice place to meet new mommy friends, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babyproof! I have a friend who used baby gates to block off huge portions of her house. She said it was like living in a prison state, but at least she knew he was safe. They also make great foam squares you can put on the floor, which helps decrease the incidence of cracked skulls.

    For the record, babies have pretty tough skulls. I can't count the number of time Finn has hit his. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exersaucer! I know it's big & cumbersome but it is a godsend for having a shower at this stage! & yes, kids have surprisingly tough skulls...take it from a mom who's kid was also pulling to stand at 6mths, she fell A LOT & she's fine. You're right tho, it's a tough transition.

    ReplyDelete