Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Memorial Day

I made the best of being trapped at home on a 3-day weekend due to my first Knott’s appearance on Sunday by packing in other activities - Friday night I spent the night in Santa Barbara after seeing Queens of the Stone Age with a couple of girlfriends and yesterday we went to the LA County Fair, something I’ve never done but would do again. I got cheap tickets at the grocery store and we went early, so got to enjoy rides and food with no lines - by about 3 pm the hoards of people arrived, and that’s when it became unbearable and we all wanted to leave. The afternoon crowds were what I had expected the whole experience to be like; thankfully we dodged that bullet. Still came home with a massive Disney rash around both ankles, again. Ugh. 





We’ll be back at this same spot (the Pomona Fairplex) in two weeks for a massive punk music festival, which could go either way for us, really - the H has an injured knee and has a hard time walking and standing; it’ll be very hot with no shade and nowhere to sit on black asphalt; the audience will be mostly current and/or former male punks with axes to grind (we both think there’s a chance of a massive riot that will shut the whole thing down, hence deciding not to bring Bobby). On the other hand, based on the age of the bands, we imagine most people in attendance will be 50+ so unlikely to cause trouble or be in any better shape than us. 

Two more weeks of school, and the last week barely counts - I think there will be a number of half days and parties and things. My sister will be visiting, so I thought it would be fun to make a box cake for Bobby’s graduation. He’s a huge Kermit the frog fan, so I ordered this figurine for the cake and made a little felt graduation cap and paper diploma for it:



I love that these boys still enjoy childlike things - I say, enjoy the last of your childhood as long as you can. I was still playing with dolls at 14! Why not? With Bobby entering a whole new phase of life this year, I think this could be the year that he morphs into a whole different person; for now I’m going to treasure these last vestiges of his pre-teen life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment