Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Last weekend in an unfurnished cabin

Last weekend was the last time we spent in an unfurnished cabin - at last, the moment I’ve waited for for 2 1/2 years, moving furniture into the cabin, is upon us. Next Monday we pick up the U-Haul, meet some movers at our house, move a few items from our shed, head to ikea to pick up a bed and a couch and mattresses and bedding, head to Lake Forest where a friend of the H has donated us a couple of water tanks, and then finally drive out to the cabin. We’ll spend the next three days assembling things and returning the U-Haul, get Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant at the top of the gondolas in Palm Springs, head home, and then I have a gig Friday night and we’ll do Christmas lights and tree shopping over the weekend and then that’s that. We’ll have a real little home out there, ready to host us whenever we want. 

We used the little propane heater last weekend at night when it dropped below 50°, and I have to say the difference of having insulation now is palpable; even on the lowest setting it heated the whole upstairs in minutes and we had to open all the windows. I don’t think staying warm out there in winter is going to be an issue. 

The move is going to be difficult and tiring and I’m definitely dreading it. A lot has to happen in a short amount of time, and there are a lot of unknowns - extracting the furniture from the back of the shed is going to be tough, especially taking apart a large Hoosier which I’m not sure will be possible; the items we want to get at ikea are low in stock and I don’t really know what to do if they sell out before we get there (they can only hold them 24 hours apparently); I don’t know how big these tanks are and they’re way out of our way; and I don’t know how frustrating it’s going to be to try to assemble multiple complicated pieces of furniture with two kids whining about how bored they are the whole time. I’m worried the H and I are going to snap at each other like we did on our anniversary. I just don’t want this to be a bad experience - this should be a happy time, after all. I’ve wanted this moment for so long and we’ve been through so much to get here. But boy is it going to be tiring. I just hope it goes smoothly. And also that projected massive winter storms don’t flood the place and ruin everything. We still don’t have a working shower or semblance of a sink - I’ve been doing sponge baths in a basin with water heated on our little propane cooker, and washing dishes squatting on the floor in a bigger basin. Getting these things in place will make it a lot more comfortable for us, and me, and make it more appealing to invite people. I’m hoping to do some friend visits in the winter when I know I’ll have a lot of free weekends. 

On last weekend’s visit, we did a quick jaunt into Joshua Tree National Park. The boys sure do love rock scrambling. I have a book of JTNP hikes, and I’m excited to branch out a little and do some more difficult stuff there, more off the beaten path. I’ve asked for a compass for Christmas. 



This week is a week of half days due to parent-teacher conferences; I’m picking up the boys at about 12:45 each day. I’ve never dealt with this before since every previous year they were in after school care until normal times. I had Theo’s conference yesterday - as usual, good reports. He’s a good kid, gets along well with others, does well in math. His writing and reading isn’t his strong point - the teacher noticed he really doesn’t like to read, and says he hopes he can kick start a love of reading next semester when they tackle some Percy Jackson books. I hope so, too. Bobby used to be an avid reader but is less of one now - I mean really, books are no competition for the internet. I hardly know any adults - certainly any male adults - that actually like to read or do it regularly. Is there a future for reading fiction written on paper? Sometimes I wonder.

We’ve decided to take Bobby to the Darker Waves concert on Saturday - it’s going to be challenging. A long day at the beach in crowds, and now it appears it’s going to be raining. We’re taking a chance in bringing him - he might hate it and be miserable - but I had a spare ticket and thought this would be a good stretch for him; if nothing else, someday he’ll be able to tell people when he was 11 his parents took him to see Devo and The Psychedelic Furs and OMD and New Order; not many people his age will have had that experience. Theo, who couldn’t care less, will stay home with the babysitter and get the VR all to himself. Win/win?




No comments:

Post a Comment