Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Hallowe’en

It was a fully inflatable Halloween as both boys chose blow up costumes - Theo as a space rocket kid and Bobby as a gorilla. Clearly, I went as a chicken (non-inflatable).

Neither inflatable costume popped or slowly deflated like Theo’s dinosaur one last year, but Bobby, at least, decided he didn’t want an inflatable costume next year. He couldn’t see all night and moving around was difficult. I always imagined we’d be the kind of family to make our own clever costumes every year, but that’s yet another thing I’ve let go. For some reason Halloween always sneaks up on me, plus the fact that the kids actively don’t WANT clever homemade costumes. If they ever came to me with an idea and wanted me to implement it for them, I’d be all in. But they just aren’t those kinds of kids. I told Bobby yesterday how when I was (about) his age I went as a “bag lady”. Yes, that was the 80s, in which it was socially acceptable to wear a costume depicting homelessness for humor. I told him one of the most common kids’ costumes when I was a kid was to dress up as a “hobo”. My how times have changed.

I’m glad the kids are still invested in Halloween - for me, the fun ended around 11 or 12. But as I’ve said many times, I feel like kids these days are less in a hurry to grow up. Also, many child-like things - playing games, dressing up, having stuffies and toys - are no longer solely for small children. There were plenty of teenagers out last night, and not just to cause havoc like when I was young. They may have been high AF, but at least they were dressed up and having a good time. 

Today I dismantle the Halloween decorations, put away the costumes, make a promise to myself that for the first time ever I won’t spend the entire month of November slowly pilfering the boys’ candy, and settle in to the new month. I finally got flights to FL for Christmas by the hybrid method - flying there on Jet Blue and flying back on Alaska. It was the only way to not be stuck with a 6 AM flight returning. That’s a huge load off my mind. All of the holidays are now accounted for. Phew. 




No comments:

Post a Comment