Monday, August 14, 2023

First day of 4th and 6th grade

After a weekend of moderate anxiety over what would happen today, at last today came and went, and, as hoped, everything worked out. 

Being me, I barely slept, and got the kids to school so early that we were in fact able to park and walk in. The poster with rosters still had Theo in his other class, but I called the office (I rang the doorbell but no one answered) and they confirmed he had been moved. Phew! 



I also was early picking them up and was able to grab a spot and sit anxiously listening to cult podcasts until the bell rang. The experience of standing in a crowd of parents waiting for school to end is something I’ve pretty much never done, but it’s my life now. 



So, how was school? The kids just kind of shrugged and said it was fine. Ha. I was able to get out of them that Theo’s class has 27 kids, several from their summer camp, he had chicken nuggets for lunch, and when asked to come up with a word to describe how he was feeling, said “unimpressed”. I was mildly mortified by this until he said other kids said “traumatized” and “bored” so I guess his wasn’t so bad after all. Bobby said his class had twelve kids, he liked his teacher, and he ran but had a cramp and had to stop. Neither have homework tonight, and Theo’s heavy backpack full of supplies wasn’t addressed so he just brought it home. Huh. Mostly they just cared about post-first day ice cream, which we got.



It’ll be a while before I really figure out the drop off / pick up routine. I’m not going to expect to be able to park and walk each day. Hopefully soon I can just swing by in my pyjamas and scoop them up. Tomorrow I might heat up the pool and have swimming after school, since it’s going to be hot AF and they’ll be home by 2. Why not?

For me, work has consisted of the usual messes that happen in the last weeks of registration - people needing to fix mistakes, people trying to get discounts, people trying to unload passes they can’t use. I let myself not do a ton of things today since I was so anxious and just needed to focus on that and then kick ass the rest of the week. I’m glad I’m in a position where I can make room for those feelings and not have to squelch them to perform at a job. 

I’m considering selling tickets year round. I realize this is the exact opposite of what I was trying to do before - reduce my actual work time to just a few months - but I think that’s a bit of a pipe dream, as people still bug me with their issues whether I’m selling tickets or not. Since it’s so easy to set up next year’s registration on this new system (I did it already), and there will always be a few people who just want to grab their pass a year in advance, I figure, it can’t hurt. It will also spread out the sales so I won’t have one giant chunk of money coming in in a 24 hour period, which hopefully will make me less of a red flag for the credit card processing company. People like to buy people passes for Christmas and birthdays, I could use the extra cash to sock away, and overall I just can’t think of a reason to not do it (there may be tax implications, but I seriously doubt I’d make enough sales at the end of the year to affect much). So that’s a new thing I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on. 

For now I’m going to try to get into a rhythm with this new school thing, get used to getting up early, and hopefully get out and hike now that I’m up at this new ungodly hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment