Saturday, June 18, 2022

First week of camp

The first week of cheap rec center camp went well. It’s always a relief when the kids like these things I sign up for - although as of now they’ve never disliked anything enough to absolutely refuse to go. Or maybe they feel like they don’t have a choice, which, to be fair, is kind of true.

They had their first field trip since 2019. They made tie dye shirts. They barely ate lunch and came home and ate six hot dog buns with cheese whiz. I think I’m finally starting to have boys that eat me out of house and home. I have long anticipated this day. I declared this summer Operation Food Independence summer - I’m going to really focus on getting them to prepare basic foods for themselves. Especially breakfasts. Another thing I’ve waited probably a little too long for, but better late than never.

This week was not good for me emotionally. I chalk it mostly up to a lengthy drawn out PMS - I was ravenously hungry all week and destroyed my diet; I was out of sorts and annoyed by everything; I took long naps every day and was still tired. Now at last I’m suffering from horrid cramps as my period finally makes an appearance. So over it. How much longer do I have of this bullshit now? One, two years??

I felt discombobulated from the end of school and arrival of camp - the camp is 20 minutes away, so it’s 80 minutes of driving back and forth every day (this will be my life when B starts jr high - for nine years). I did buckle down and get some event work done…but not the important, customer-facing work, which is the Byzantine class schedule. Instead I focused on approaching everyone regarding their travel, which of course meant about 2/3 of the people never answered me. I knew flights were a lot but didn’t realize just how much - most are at least 2x as expensive as they were last year; many are 3x. Flights from the east coast or Midwest that were $300 last year are now $800-$900. It’s pretty horrifying. This translates to extra costs in the tens of thousands. Good thing I raised prices. It also explains why people aren’t exactly flocking to sign up at the moment, which they’re not. I’m worried about money this year. With potentially a huge drop in attendance, no sign of that state grant (the issues were supposed to be resolved this month but I haven’t heard a word), and my fed grant still not dismissed, it’s scary. I keep trying to figure out a budget or how much I could have left after the event but it’s impossible - I have to guess how many people I think will still sign up, what my expenses still are, what will happen if the state grant never materializes, etc etc. I know I’m not alone in feeling income insecure at the moment. It’s a scary time. 

I had a friend post an anecdotal account of two acquaintances - young, healthy guys - who dropped dead of heart attacks after recovering from covid. That had me all worked up. The H is not being cautious at all right now, since we’re in that window where it’s “ok to catch covid”, but I have to say I disagree with that - covid could seriously fuck both of us up at our age. I wouldn’t mess around. By Thursday we’ll be two weeks out from our honeymoon and so will have to take on added precautions anyway. I know catching it is pretty much inevitable at this point - it’s fucking everywhere - but I’m not going to make it easy to be caught. 




No comments:

Post a Comment