Friday, November 19, 2021

Aaaand break!

I’m sure I can speak for people in the education sector everywhere when I say - whew! Bring on the break! Not that I’m in the education sector, but after going to both boys’ zoom parent-teacher conferences yesterday, I can tell they are going through it. We all deserve a breather.

Speaking of which, both conferences went great. I didn’t know what to expect for Bobby’s - some of the grades he’s been getting seem not great, but being as they’re not on a lettered grade system or a numbered grade system that resembles anything I grew up with, I pretty much don’t know what the hell I’m looking at when I check grades on Schoology - but his teacher said he’s doing great. Both kids were said to work well with partners and fit in well with all different types of kids. Bobby’s teacher encouraged him to take a speaking part in their upcoming play, which is great and a surprise considering how much he’s not liked performing in the past. I hope he can overcome this at some point, but I know performing in front of people is not everyone’s jam. Theo loves math and is really good at it. I’m hoping this means he has a good future in the sciences or engineering of some kind. All these years of Minecraft can’t be for nothing!

We are supposed to leave for Death Valley day after tomorrow. I say supposed to because there is still a chance we’ll have to cancel everything at the last second, which is causing me mass anxiety. I don’t really think the F would do that to us - nothing is so g-d important that it can’t wait until after the holiday - but he’s still stressing out and also has absolutely no money. All of this unfortunately means that most likely for the entire month of December until our Hawaii trip I probably won’t hardly see him at all and will be on 100% child care duties. Trying to steel myself for that now. I can’t wait until his job stops being so intrusive on our lives. It was once again on the verge of this until the motherboard of his printing press crashed two weeks ago and every second of every day has been sucked into his frantically trying to fix it while orders pile up and bills (his, of course) go unpaid. Welp, this is life in a relationship - their concerns become your concerns. It’s part of the package. Most likely we will get to go on our trip, so I’m just going to hang my hat on that and be grateful, and hope it can get him to unplug for a few days. He desperately needs it. 

In other news, I have photographed the last of my items for my Etsy store (I’ll list them when I get back and can actually mail them), which means I have finally been able to convert my dining room back into a dining room and not a photo studio and second closet. I intentionally put everything there so it would annoy me so much I’d be forced to finish the store, and it worked. Now I can just watch the money roll in (or not). My next project is converting my old computer over to my new computer (a process I have put off for an entire year), holiday stuff, wedding stuff, and, come January, tons of tax stuff.

In the middle of all this, hopefully, our cabin will wrap up and we can devote some time to furnishing it and getting it set up for our occasional visits. The contractor tells me they plan to finish the roof by Tuesday and then start on windows and doors. I haven’t seen pictures since Sunday - and he has hit me up for more money - so there’s a part of me that’s still skeptical. Is anything even happening out there…? But the neighbor texted me to say the  crew is, in fact, back out there, so something is actually happening. There’s still so much work left to go, though, that I think we’re realistically looking at January before we could even make it out there. 




No comments:

Post a Comment