Sunday, October 17, 2021

Updates (aren’t they all…?)

I heard from my friend. She of course read my blog and will no doubt read this. She apologized and said she has, in fact, had a life-changing event that she can’t talk about yet. So it’s not me. And now I feel terrible that, as a friend, I can’t be some kind of help or comfort in what’s obviously a terrible time. I told her I’m here for her if she needs me and she said thanks. It’s funny how quickly one’s incandescent rage can melt under just a few words. I feel relieved but also sad and concerned. It must be something pretty terrible because she’s a tough cookie and isn’t thrown by much in life. I’ll be holding her in my thoughts.

Yesterday we went to our first “tasting” of potential wedding food. It was a bit of a bagunça. The place was far as fuck - Temecula - and the woman there was flustered and somewhat unprepared for us. There were three tiny meat tacos for us to try - so, nothing for vegetarian me, although that’s my fault because I didn’t tell them - and everything was super basic. But, that was kind of the point; this is the cheap option. The woman said they probably don’t go to Yucca Valley although that was the first thing I confirmed with whoever I was texting. I think this business is a) blowing up a little too fast and they’re unprepared and overwhelmed, and b) suffering the help/supply shortages that are happening right now. I’m a little reluctant to put my wedding in their hands, honestly. But it doesn’t matter - we’ve got another tasting today and one in Nov as well and I’m also waiting on a couple more estimates. I’ll be happy when this catering stuff is done. It’s a huge amount of work for me and I’m pretty out of my depth with this stuff.

Friday my band spent the day filming some videos, something we’ve never done. But a friend in Korea wanted some videos for his wedding, and we needed some promo material, so we crashed the house of a wealthy dancer in Brentwood and shot some songs with dancers in attendance. It was really nice. I do miss that aspect of my life even though I enjoy my gig-free weekends. I so hope we can get back to international travel. I don’t know if that part of our band life will ever return, but I’m hoping. 

In thinking about the boys and sports and activities, I’ve decided to look into capoeira for them. It’s the perfect combo of dance, music, martial arts and culture - how much would it thrill me for these kids to learn about their 1/4 Brazilian background - and there’s a highly rated studio near us that’s having a special next month. So I’ll get us started on that. 

I’m still completely flummoxed about what to do about applying for middle schools for B. The principal never answered my request to have Bobby evaluated - I may go over her head to his actual teacher who is the person in charge of evaluations at their school - or hit her up one more time. I have to submit applications in about three weeks. Time is of the essence. 

One more week, maybe, until the contractor re-starts our cabin…? I find myself thinking about it all the time. I miss the desert, and Theo keeps asking when we’re going on a trip again. I hope I’m not overestimating what it’s going to feel like to go out there. What if it’s boring and we hate it? What if it’s constantly vandalized? What if we never have time to spend out there? So many things can go wrong. Or, we could love it and it could enhance our family life in a positive way. Which I think is more likely.


No comments:

Post a Comment