Monday, October 4, 2021

Socialization

This weekend was all about socialization. Saturday I went to the pro-choice march downtown, having dusted off my protest sign from the last pro-choice march (sigh), and remembering my first pro-choice March on Washington in the 80s in high school, which means I have been officially marching for reproductive rights for five decades. And now, in the fifth decade, our rights are more at risk than they’ve been in that whole time. Sigh, indeed. 

That night the family went out to dinner, something we haven’t done while at home in…I don’t even remember. We had Thai food, which, as always when introducing new things to these kids, went so-so. But I have to admit they are *slowly* getting better at eating new things, which makes life so much better in so many ways. 

Yesterday I did something I also haven’t done in ages, which is dress up and go to a 1920s picnic. A friend had invited the whole family for her birthday, and I got to see people I hadn’t seen in ages and even have my first dance in about two years. As always with this stuff, it felt like I had just done it yesterday. It really is like riding a bicycle. Even my still not great frozen shoulder did ok with the dancing. Thankfully it’s not in my dominant arm.

I am still waiting on my replacement credit cards and debit cards, and currently have a bunch of companies trying, and failing, to charge me their monthly fees. I sincerely hope I get these new cards soon. 

A California arts grant I had been waiting on for months has suddenly disappeared from the website it was featured on, and there is no mention of it anywhere - not on Twitter, YouTube, my news feed, nothing. It’s like it never existed. I’ve emailed that government website to see what happened to it. Im afraid it’s just “gone away” and been re-allocated to other things. If this potential $45,000 is no longer headed my way, this dramatically changes what I will and won’t be able to do next year. It was supposed to open for applications next week. I’m pretty gutted. I realize it’s free money that I’m in no way entitled to, but still. I hate that a carrot was dangled in front of me that’s now (most likely) gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment