Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Labor Day

And now the weekend that would have been my event is officially over. I’m very much wiping my hands of it and looking forward to the future. There was a lot of mourning of the event on Facebook - and I get it, since for most people it’s fun and a way to reconnect with friends after this pandemic - but for me it was still just such a relief that I didn’t have to run it under these circumstances. I did not miss it.

I went to Palm Springs with a close friend and a swing dancer friend and his boyfriend. It was a delightful weekend full of fine dining, pool soaks, and long talks until the wee hours. The first day I had us meet at the Integratron for a sound bath, which was lovely. They offer private sound baths which I may make into a wedding morning activity if I can swing the money. We had many philosophical discussions about lgbtqai involvement in swing dancing, de-gendering the dance, raising prices to then pay people more so they can make a career out of being musicians/dance teachers etc, dealing with problematic people, etc etc. Very helpful information I can take with me into the next event. I agree prices need to be raised but I’m not sure when or how. 

While there I came up with the idea of opening an Etsy store so I can sell off some unwanted vintage stuff. I certainly have the time to devote to photographing and measuring and listing all my crap - whether anyone will buy any of it is another thing. But I figure it doesn’t cost much and could bring in a little small income stream for me, and even better, help me clear out my impossibly overstuffed closet. Also, I have many friends in the same position, so I could potentially consign some of their stuff to help them out, too. So that will be my project going forward. 

The boys did well on their first time without mama since February of 2020. I think the F ran them ragged with activities, which is good, because that’s the part I suck at. Tomorrow they return to school for a short week. They are still testing negative. Hoorah. 




No comments:

Post a Comment