Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Another successful election

We get to keep our governor, phew! Not that I was very concerned, but like all of us I’m still traumatized by 2016 and convinced unless it’s a presidential election, Democrats are asleep at the wheel. But not yesterday. BS Republican recall effort defeated. I can exhale. For now. 

School continues on sans covid infections. Los Angeles covid rates are dropping. My epidemiologist friend wrote an article that predicted we could very well nail this thing - between adult vaccines, upcoming kid vaccines, and natural immunity from this summer’s infections, it’s just possible we’ll beat this thing in the next few months. God, I hope so. To be able to go into next year running my event with confidence could be truly amazing. I’m starting to think that even if we have a surge over the winter it may not be a giant one, due to most people being immune on purpose or by accident. Can’t wait for kid vaccines to be approved. Maybe in a couple of months? 

Today I started up my Etsy store. As expected, it was a ton of work. I worked on it an entire day and only got about ten listings up. You can see why people don’t want to bother with this and just let things languish in their closets instead. There’s a big learning curve, and I still have a lot of basic setup to do. But as I was adding listings, two things sold. I was unprepared for that. So tomorrow I have to figure out how I’m going to ship these things. I want to get them out quickly so I don’t risk bad reviews. Out of one customer service nightmare and into another, huh? 

Our cabin renovation drags on. The contractor has told me it will be another month. Honestly, it doesn’t really matter - right now I have at least one thing I have to do here each weekend that would make it impossible to get out there before mid-October anyway - but again, my big fear is he’ll just drop the ball and never finish. As far as I know all that’s happened in the last month is he put some siding on. There’s still no roof, door, or windows, and the bathroom building hasn’t even been begun. Sigh. 

The F and I hammered out our wedding invites. Assuming everyone brings all of their kids, we easily hit 100 people. It’ll cost me $2000 more to go over 100 people. Comfortably I’d really like about 120 for some people stuck in the “maybe” file. I have the Save the Dates addressed and ready to go, just waiting on special stamps I ordered. The F is inviting people he hasn’t seen or spoken to since we first got together six years ago. I’m slightly annoyed by this; but I also get that he needs his people, too, and these people are basically his family since he doesn’t really have any. They lean right wing and are big drinkers and partiers - in complete opposition to all of my people. Sigh. I guess I should count my blessings that I don’t have to deal with them every holiday, right? One night in my lifetime won’t kill me. 

Yesterday at school pickup I was reminded how glad I am that I have nice, polite boys. They’ve been complaining of other kids swearing at their afterschool (the afterschool program is so grossly understaffed that they only have two staff for 150 kids…yikes). And I’ve witnessed some pretty shitty, disrespectful behavior from kids towards their parents lately. The F and I thanked them for being such nice, polite boys and told them how proud we are of them. They really are nice kids. I like to pat myself on the back for all that hard work I put in when they were little not allowing certain tones of voice or attitudes or behaviors. It was rough then but boy is it paying off now. Whether they keep being nice kids into adolescence remains to be seen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment