Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Longest month ever?

Several people have posted on FB how long January has felt. I’d have to agree. But this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. February means my event is officially open, which means I have money again, but also means my work cycle begins again, so I am officially back “on”. I have mixed feelings about that. I’m in no hurry.

I think we’re all struggling with kids struggling with the return to school. It’s been like pulling teeth to get B to get through his escalating homework lately. Juggling the two kids each evening with their own reading requirements, homework, and (for Bobby) musical practice, is always a huge challenge. It mostly involves Theo being allowed to watch TV in my bedroom while I try to guide B through all his extra work. Theo only has to read with me and work on memorizing his rainbow words. As it’s been for as long as I can remember, those three hours between kid pickup and bedtime are like a marathon. I look ahead to years of standardized testing, projects, and real grades, and shudder. How are we going to get through all that? Are my kids always going to be this dependent on me to help them with every little thing? Am I creating this dependency? Or at five and seven is it just the way it is? 

In other news, I am down nearly 7 lbs with my 5:2 diet. I’ve discovered what works best for me is just not eating until the evening and having a normal 500 calorie dinner. I noticed when I try to eat two or three small meals it makes me a lot hungrier; I do better when I just don’t eat and instead drink tea and water with electrolytes all day. Yesterday I didn’t eat until dinner time and it worked much better for me. So I may just do that from now on on my fast days. Although I’ve lost a decent amount of weight and I’m pleased with it, a) I’m still technically overweight, b) weight loss has slowed to 1-1 1/2 lbs per week, and c) I still have 7-12 lbs to go before I’ll meet any kind of “goal weight” and those goals will take 2-3 more months to meet. So I don’t want to start celebrating too soon. I have a lot of work ahead of me. But I’m at a weight today that I haven’t seen in about a year, so yay for that. And with being able to eat normally five days a week it feels pretty effortless. 

Saturday my event opens. I met with my partner in the event software today and everything looks on target. I’m praying for a smooth opener with no technical problems and lots and lots of signups. I’ll know everything by Sunday. 

I’ve been keeping myself busy by planting up my vegetable garden. Nearly everything that was planted last year died, so I pulled most things out and just started over. Surviving are a tomato plant, eggplant, collard greens, and some peppers. I planted lettuce, spinach, Brussels sprouts, catnip, cherry tomatoes, and kale. Thursday (my next fast day!) I’m going to plant lots of flowers, bulbs, carrots, more peppers, more tomatoes. I think this garden will be a process of elimination until I find the right things that will work. But I’ll get there.

In a week I leave for CancĂșn. Stoked.




1 comment:

  1. I do intermittent fasting and DEFINITELY find that it's much, much easier to not eat at all than to eat small meals!

    ReplyDelete