Sunday, July 7, 2019

Aging

In a week I’ll be on Oahu in a yurt. There I will ring in my 47th birthday. 

I realize I’m still “young”. But I feel old and out of it. I’m having a hard time with aging at the moment. I think part of it is because culture is moving so quickly right now, it’s impossible to keep up, and that causes a certain panic that I’ve recognized in older people before. Add this to my rapidly diminishing eyesight, my inability to lose weight, and fear of oncoming menopause, and yeah - not feeling the whole aging thing.

Still - I need to think about the positives of being this age, especially on the heels of good choices I made as a younger person. I bought a house when it was still possible in LA, and hopefully that house will be paid off by the time I’m 52. Then I will have lots of options for myself and college for the kids. I started a business in my 20s, toughed it out through the hard times, and am now reaping the benefits of two decades of hard work. I had two children that will hopefully be a comfort to me in my old age. Being older isn’t all terrible. In fact, it’s mostly great. I signed up for more personal training sessions, am going to start running, and will double down on my diet once I get back from our trip. I’m not going to go quietly into that dark night, not yet. 

The boys and I had an enjoyable beach day on our own today. Boy, are beach days less physically demanding now that I have help carrying stuff and don’t have babies strapped to me! They played well together and then we went to the In N Out where you can watch airplanes land at LAX, then home. 

Theo is attempting no pull ups tonight, on his own incentive. Hold the good thought for us! 




1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday! seems like your life is succeeding on all levels!

    ReplyDelete