Monday, March 11, 2019

So close

Tomorrow is Theo’s last day of being four. While I feel like I’ve been a parent of under-five kids for an eternity, I am also acutely aware of how fast time goes. But this is what I wanted - the experience of raising kids. Sometimes it drags, sometimes it flies.

It’s hard to experience this time of year - blossoms blooming, rain, warming temperatures - and not think about the heady days of the end of both my pregnancies. What a time that was. Scary and urgent and buzzing with magic. 

...also, today I tried to put in contacts for the first time, and I can honestly say the experience ranks up there with childbirth. I never did get them in my eyes, btw. 

A couple of important things happened last week. Did my taxes (I am a-ok thanks to lots of generous pre-payments) and came to the conclusion that I need to clean up my messy finances - really separate business and personal expenses, and use their accounting services every month. So I’m applying for a separate credit card and will start the process of moving all my personal auto pays off of my business accounts. It’ll be a pain in the butt BUT next year’s taxes will be a breeze - no more being tortured by weeks of tax prep! I’ll still have to issue 1099s and do the band taxes and business licenses, but the big one, my taxes, will be just an issue of going in to sign returns. Yippee! 

We also closed on buying the registration system. Money sent, contracts signed. Tomorrow we meet to discuss next steps (including getting my event up, hooray). We still haven’t figured out how to handle the two proposed partners. Eeesh.

Also, we adopted a cat from a friend. Her name was Lily. We named her Samantha. I call her Kitten Mittens, as it is the rule to name a pet and then never call it that name. She is sweet and cuddly and the boys, who have never had a pet before, are being very gentle with her, which is great. 

Kitchen still looms on - windows still being laboriously painted, last few details like thresholds and final painting still to do. I’m reluctant to really put anything away in there until everyone is out for good. I’m SO sick of having people tromping all over here every day, ugh. The good news is - I absolutely LOVE this kitchen. It is positively gorgeous and everything I had hoped. Pictures to come when it’s better set up.

In the last couple of weeks I’ve had more than one older woman tell me her one regret was not having kids. Which fills me with feelings. I know many child free people will never feel (or rarely feel) regrets. And honestly if they got a snapshot of the worst moment of any of my days they’d probably say, “uhhhh...no thanks.” But the most common comment made by the thinkers that visit my SMC group is “I don’t want to have any regrets,” and to me that’s a legit reason to do this crazy thing. 

So, no regrets here. Ask me tomorrow, though-! Ha.




No comments:

Post a Comment