Thursday, May 31, 2018

Kindergarten countdown

Bobby has five more days of school. Our reviews are mixed. Bobby has said things like, “I hate school” and “it’s really not all that fun.” I was shocked by how much work it was, for both of us. It seems like our parents sent us to school and then pretty much forgot about us. Not so today. Still, I will say the seemingly endless tide of projects and donations and volunteer requests slowed considerably after Christmas; his teacher even stopped giving nightly homework a couple of weeks ago, which has been great. But I guess, as with all things parenting, it’s all about expectations. I expected the school years to be easy on me, and so far that has not been the case. Now that I know the deal I’ll be better prepared for all that is to come. 

I think I have narrowed down Theo’s school options to one which is the best fit - I’ll know for sure after tomorrow’s morning tour. But unless there’s a head in the teacher’s lounge refrigerator, he’s totally going there. It’s right across the freeway from us, so super close, which enables me to easily drop both kids in the morning (I could even walk to this school in a pinch, which is always a nice feeling); it’s small and boutique-y in a nice little neighborhood; and best of all, it is the other school we’re zoned for, so no wait list - Theo is guaranteed to get in. Why did I not think of this school before? Because it has terrible test scores. But I’ve come to realize that’s a bit of a red herring in this neighborhood; the language barrier is an issue, not necessarily the quality of the school. A fellow preschool parent recommended I check it out and so I did, and I think that’s our answer.

The boyfriend offered to take one of the kids to school every day if one school was too far for me to do both...and that’s very nice...but...I just don’t want to let go of that control. I need to do it myself. 

So now I am facing what I have waited seven years for - two children in school all day. A year earlier than I thought. I’m delighted but also a little scared. It’s basically a return to my pre-kid life in 2011, something I can barely remember. Our current schedule, the most non-kid having I’ve had so far, has been this since last June:

Monday: Bobby to school at 8, Theo to preschool at 12:30. Pick up Bobby at 5 and Theo at 5:30

Tuesday: Bobby to school at 8, Theo to preschool at 9:30. Pick up Theo at 12:00, pick up Bobby at 5.

Wednesday: Bobby to school at 8, Theo to preschool at 9:30. Move Theo to other preschool at 12:00, pick Bobby up at 5 and Theo up at 5:30

Thursday: Bobby to school at 8, Theo to preschool at 9:30. Pick up Theo at 12:00, pick up Bobby at 5.

Friday: Bobby to school at 8, Theo to preschool at 9:30. Move Theo to other preschool at 12:00, pick Bobby up at 5 and Theo up at 5:30

It is exhausting. 

As of mid-August both kids will be at school at 8 every day. I’m not sure what Theo’s options will be for afterschool or if I’ll even utilize them - I may just pick him up at 2:30 every day. 






1 comment:

  1. Here's to the no head in the teacher's lounge refrigerator option! Sounds like a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete