Monday, May 7, 2018

Volcanos and strep and teacher meetings, oh my

The meeting with Bobby’s teacher went well. She has always been a bit of an enigma to me, so a friendly face-to-face meeting was a good idea even though it didn’t accomplish much. I definitely got the idea that Bobby’s behavior is not entirely out of bounds - apparently her class has way more boys than girls, and they tend to get each other all riled up. She told me the kindergarten teachers get together at the end of the year and shuffle the kids to make for the best 1st grade classes, so my hope is Bobby will be separated from the kids he gets into the most trouble with. Around home he’s been much better, too. Although the snark is strong with this one. He is his mother’s son!

After my last trip I won’t be out of town until end of June, so I’m grounded for a while, but at the moment all I can think about is end of school and summer schedule. The kids’ Lord of the Flies summer camp starts at 10AM most days. Do you know how freeing it’s going to be to get up two hours later?? I am already plotting my summer to make a commitment to go out dancing more - and most importantly, get more sleep. I definitely do not feel rested most of the time - I feel a bit like I have a baby at home again, always sort of bleary-eyed and longing for a nap. 

We had a bit of a scare last week with Theo having a bad reaction to his final MMR vaccine - terrible measles-like rash that started on his back and then spread to his chest and face. They’ve had a pretty serious Hand, Foot & Mouth outbreak at his afternoon School so I was concerned he’d caught it (even though his rash was nothing like the HFM symptoms). But he had fevers at night for a couple of days and was pretty miserable so I kept him out of school for a couple of days until the doctor could diagnose him - turns out it was MMR reaction plus strep throat. He’s fine now. But it did throw a bit of a wrench in things for a while.

In other news, the Air BnB we’ve booked on the Big Island of Hawaii for July may or may not be in the path of the currently erupting volcano. Nobody has messaged me, and I’m hoping two and a half months is enough time to get a sense of if it’ll be safe to go (worse comes to worst we can always figure out somewhere else to stay). But it has been a bit hair-raising!




No comments:

Post a Comment