Thursday, December 5, 2019

Holiday #2, check

It’s funny how much easier it is to cook Thanksgiving dinner for nine people when you have a kitchen.

Over two days I made:
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Gravy
Cranberry sauce
Rolls (yeasted - from scratch!)
Thyme butter carrots
Mushrooms in cream
Brussels sprouts with butternut squash and walnuts
Real whipped cream

The BF bought a bbq’d turkey that he heated up out in the rain at the bbq. Glad I didn’t have to share my small oven, which ran almost continually for two days.

My sister and brother in law came, as well as his nephew, the nephew’s wife and three-year-old son. Absent was the BF’s sister, around which there was some drama. Most of the drama was in my head, but still, yeah. Let’s just say it was a very pleasant evening and visit until I had to cut it short by leaving for DC to sing at an event on Saturday until I got home late Tuesday night. 

This is an event we’ve had for years, but since they moved to Thanksgiving weekend, it will probably be our last. Most of our musicians just aren’t willing to sacrifice family time. The event for me was extremely stressful - I spent most of it when I wasn’t working in my hotel room with social anxiety, and the rest of the time trying to frantically memorize song lyrics as it’s become plain to me that bringing ragged pieces of paper with lyrics to read while singing is no longer acceptable. It was a habit I got into when I had babies and was so horribly sleep deprived that I couldn’t remember anything...and it became kind of a crutch. There are songs I’ve been singing for five years that I still can’t remember. But I’ve been forcing myself to remember now, which is hard, because I always have that panic on stage that I’m going to blank out (sometimes I do). However, I feel like I have the mental bandwidth these days to take on these formerly low-priority tasks.

The long Thanksgiving week with kids off school went just fine, and gave me confidence that I can handle kids all winter break with no camp. It’s only the week of Christmas - which will be easy because there’ll be lots to do, and for part of it the boys will have new toys to play with; then a few days the following week before we go visit my sister in Florida until the end of the break. Bam. 

With the changing of the weather (LA goes from 80s and sunny to 50s and rainy pretty much overnight, and always right around now) I’m keen to throw myself back into my knitting projects. I’ve been using this tool called a lucet - a medieval braiding tool - to make a tree garland; next I need to get off my duff and try knitting the boys hats, which is scary because it’s a whole new skill set I don’t have yet (so far I’ve only made scarves and wash cloths). 

The boys are now dry about 90% of the time. It’s funny to think after all that agide about getting them out of pull-ups, the solution was simply doing it and putting up with wet beds for a few weeks. I gave away the diaper pail to a pregnant friend last week, along with my old ergo and mei tei carriers and baby monitor. I kept the tiny newborn carrier. Soon the boys will outgrow their baby onesie blankets my sister made; Bobby’s is literally falling apart. I have plans to get them duvets and new sheets now that it’s less likely they’ll pee on them. 

This weekend we finally put up our lights and get a tree, and I need to get to work buying presents and making candy for various events. Holiday #3, let’s do this!




No comments:

Post a Comment