Monday, November 25, 2019

Thanksgiving week

I’m still malingering in bed and it’s nearly 10 AM. This, my friends, is the luxury of children who can dress themselves and entertain themselves in the morning when there’s no school. This is not a luxury I take for granted, not one bit.

We had both kids’ parent teacher conferences last week. Much to my delight, both kids got stellar reports. I wasn’t sure about Theo since he’s new at school and had gotten in trouble for punching a kid in the back a few days before - an incident his teacher didn’t even remember, thankfully - but his teacher said he was doing well but just needed to settle down and not socialize so much when they were doing mat time (she said the same thing about Bobby two years ago). Bobby’s teacher said he was a joy to have in the classroom. It’s funny; when you’re with your kids all the time, sometimes you only see their faults (the whining, the fighting, how hard it is to get them to do anything), but then given the perspective of one who works with large groups of kids all the time, you see how well-behaved your kids really are. In this moment, I’d like to express gratitude for kids who are healthy and doing well. Another thing I do not take for granted.

I just got back from a weekend in Austin singing; next weekend I go to DC. Then short of a quick stint to Nor Cal in January, I have no trips until end of April. I’m hoping to take that time to try to diet and work on the garden. I feel like every conversation I have with every woman my age is about how we all don’t like the weight we’re at but can’t seem to lose any and how frustrating it is. For now I’ve downgraded my expectations to trying not to gain any more before the end of the year...which is tough considering there’s Thanksgiving and Christmas in the way. But I am at my highest weight right now - and have been for most of this year. I’m torn between wanting to just settle at this weight and be ok with it, or really make an effort to lop off ten pounds and stay there (that’s the hard part). Either way I managed to look probably the best I’ve ever looked this weekend, which was a great ego boost. I may be middle aged and flabby and aging disgracefully, but at least I can still clean up pretty good!




No comments:

Post a Comment