Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Obsessed

Ok, I was up until the wee hours last night obsessing on B's birthday party. Since I have made the decision to "go big" I now feel like I can solidify things, and being a Type A planner, I really want to get this nailed down now.

So today I scouted locations and made phonecalls. Despite having been temporarily tempted by various park picnic areas, I have decided on Travel Town after all. They provide a tent for shelter and there's lots else there for people to do - they can check out the trains, go to the gift shop, ride the train. So hopefully people with kids can look at it as a fun day out and not just my kid's birthday. As long as it isn't freezing and raining I imagine I'll get a decent turnout.

After spending an entire night on Pinterest I have settled on a The Cat in the Hat theme. There's just something about the bold colors and graphics that really appeal to me - I think I can pull together a really nifty party design with just coordinating colors without it being too busy and overwhelming. I'm going to hit up the dollar store for ideas. It served me well at Christmas.

I'm still concerned about costs, though. The rental is $100, and if I get enough pizza for the 50 people on the guest list, I'm looking at another $150 at least, not to mention cake, drinks, and decorations. I am considering asking people to bring drinks and ice in the place of presents, since honestly I can use that more than a sea of toys. I don't know. I'll have to think about it.

I also would love to do proper printed invites to send in the mail...but that's another cost, and keeping track of RSVPs would be much easier on a Facebook invite. Maybe I'll just make one to print out for my scrapbook. I can see how easily women get all psychotic about this stuff.

Bumpus is becoming such a little man lately. We have conversations in which we make noises back and forth at each other; he looks at me with such an intelligence that even a guy on line at FedEx today commented on it. He has four teeth all busting out at once, and he's making solid little doodies now, no more runny messes! It's so weird. I'm so used to the constant poop blowouts. The idea of rolling his poopies right into the toilet is a revelation.

I may actually make an attempt at making baby food. He eats so much of those squeezy bags that I did a little math today and was a little horrified at what it'll cost each month to keep buying these things. I have a pin on Pinterest about making a month's worth of baby food for $20. I may try it.

Bumpus is biting the crap out of my nipples. I may start using my old friends, the nipple shields, again, just to save myself. It's extremely unpleasant.

I'm meeting a new single mothers group tomorrow for a hike. Hopefully I'll find some comraderie there. I don't know that they're single mothers by choice, but we'll at least have singleness in common.



1 comment:

  1. Great idea for the party!! Definitely make 1 printed invite for your scrapbook!!

    Take it from this lazy ass, making baby food wasn't that hard. I bought the magic bullet & would make 2-3 weeks of food at a time & it didn't take long. Good luck if you do try.

    ReplyDelete