Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Night #6

Once again no crying, just one wake up for food. Could it be that this is working...? Unfortunately I was awake a lot last night, for no particular reason (maybe the dozen chocolate chip cookies I shoved down my throat at bedtime...? I admit yesterday was not a good food day for me. I'm so addicted to sugar since the holidays that at around 9 PM I decided I "just had to use up that half bag of chocolate chips" and made some cookies which I then wolfed down, even the burnt ones. Sigh.). So being awake much of the night I do not feel very rested even though B slept well. But I was up early enough to shower before the contractor got here, so that's something. No word on when the water goes off but it could be any time in the next couple of days.

I can tell by the sounds up there that they are laying more floor. Yippee. Hopefully this will be the end of the daily rain of sawdust onto the clothes in my closet (somehow it's coming down through a vent and sticking in my sweaters, which really sucks); if not I finally got smart and put a garbage bag over it in the interim.

A friend who likes to panic me about things is urging me to rewire the house, saying she's doing hers because a fireman she knows told her the old wiring is a major fire hazard. I know she's right, but...a) that would put me into debt for the rest of the year, and b) it means breaking into the walls, ie major damage and clean up. It's not that I don't recognize it's an issue, but...can't it wait a year? Can't I deal with my plumbing issues first? Ugh, this homeowner stuff never ends! Well, at least my home value is way up, mostly probably due to party neighbor's house selling for $415,000 in April. So even with my massive debt from my New Orleans debacle, at the moment I actually have equity in my home. It means nothing, but it's a good feeling.

This news came at a good time because I had a minor heart attack when I checked my various bank accounts last night, since I've been writing checks willy nilly from different accounts for the contractor the last couple of weeks and not really keeping track. Um, yeah. My money is pretty much gone. If ever there were a time for someone to hack into my bank accounts, now would be it, because there ain't nothing there. In fact once my giant Kaiser plan payment automatically goes through on my personal account any day now, I officially have nothing left in that account to pay January's remaining bills (ie, all of them). Thank God for mobile deposit apps, I was able to deposit a check quick last night at home before checks started bouncing. It'll all work out - Feb 1st I open for registration and technically that's when my income begins for the year, and hopefully my new pay structure means more people will buy earlier rather than later. So as usual I will *just* scrape by. But boy, this time of year is scary sometimes.


1 comment:

  1. I'm getting Felix to drop his night feedings by giving him fewer calories at night wakings (more water in his formula bottles). So far it seems to be all or nothing. Either he sleeps 6 - 8 hours, or he wakes crying every 2 hours. It's exhausting and I can't figure out the trigger. He took an early evening nap today so I'm hopeful we're in for a good night, as opposed to the days he naps from 9 - 10pm and then goes to bed at 11.

    ReplyDelete