Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Scrambling and adapting

Thanks, ladies, for all your helpful comments on my last post. You immediately alleviated any guilt I may have had surrounding how lame I felt that I needed to enlist child care just because I need a break. Apparently everyone does, even people with partners who (in theory) share child care. So, thanks for that!

I googled looking for Mother's Day Out programs but couldn't find any in LA - however, I bet they exist here, you just have to dig a little harder. They are probably at churches that don't have websites or call the program something else. So I've called in the cavalry - posting all over and texting everyone I know with kids. No results yet but I'll just keep trying. I did talk to some places today but they all either don't take babies, have a long wait list, or are way too expensive.

Worse comes to worst there's the Baby Kennel who would be my preference - as I know them and trust them, and the days/times they offer me are perfect. But I have to somehow come up with another $500 a month. Ouch.

Still I picture myself this winter trapped indoors with a crying toddler and it fills me with dread. Day in, day out. Ahhhh! I definitely need to ramp up my sociability - I can do more groups and gatherings for sure; but even now with all my nights out, yoga, swimming, hikes, etc etc, it's STILL not enough. Which begs the question - will anything ever be enough? Will I ever feel like I have a balanced life where all (or most) of my needs are being met? I don't know.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to comment yesterday, but baby fussing got in the way...I can totally understand where you are coming from. Not just 'what do I do with him to keep him stimulated', but also the feeling of some guilt for wanting some of your own time.

    I have a nanny that worked from 10-2 M, W, Th. Then, because the time off was so wonderful I added Tuesdays. Now, I've realized that with all the errands I want to do, in addition to sleep when she is here, even THAT time isn't enough....so I've asked her to come 5 hours a day next week. Oh, and did I mention I am not back to work yet?!

    It is costly too...I understand your concerns about that as well. I pay her 10/hr. It started out being 120/week (12 hours). Then 160/week. Now, 200 next week.

    And you know what? Every single penny well spent. My sanity and health is extremely important (as is yours). Everytime I worry about it, I say to myself "Healthy Mama, Healthy Baby". And let's be real.....you have the baby all the other time he is not away. That's a lot of togetherness.

    Everyone needs a break, so please please don't feel guilty about it. I remind myself not to either.

    ReplyDelete