Sunday, October 7, 2012

Big boy jammies

Yesterday was the first time I was late returning to the Baby Kennel to pick up B, and it sucked. I had seriously underestimated how long it would take to drive to Long Beach, get my hair cut and colored, have dinner, and drive to Pasadena. I estimated four hours; it took five. So when I called to say I'd be a half hour late, I was a half hour late even after that, and they called while I was driving to see when I was showing up because the baby was hungry. Oy! Well, they did a pretty good job of not making me feel guilty when I got there. I immediately nursed him and took his cranky butt home rather than to the baby shower I had meant to catch the tail end of.

Since he was sleeping when we got home around 8:30 I just put him right in the crib, and had that other-worldly feeling of "oh my God, the baby's asleep without me and is in no danger...what the heck do I do now?" My hope was to have him sleep through the night, but it was not to be. He woke up hysterical about an hour later; I took the opportunity to change his diaper, put on some covering jammies he hasn't worn yet (see picture), and nurse him back to sleep. Then he slept a few hours while I watched bad Saturday night TV and in general didn't know what to do with myself, since I am NEVER not "on call" when we're home.

The funny thing was there were a lot of parties last night and they echo all around these hills, and there was some chick speaking Spanish on a mic somewhere and it sounded exactly like Bumpus fussing, so I kept running into the bedroom thinking he was up when he wasn't.

In the end he didn't sleep any better than he ever does. I took him into the bed finally after nursing once because my experience was every time I put him in the crib he would sit up and smash his head against the slats and then cry. There's got to be some decent bumpers out there that are safe and fit and aren't too thin!

Still I am going to keep trying to put him to bed early. I hate the thought of depriving him of needed sleep for my own emotional needs. And now he has another in a series of colds so I want to make sure he gets plenty of rest, since there's not much else I can do for him.

Yesterday I went out and bought tons of herbs for my soon to be herb garden. The Home Depot had a surprising collection - pineapple sage, various mints, lemon thyme, herbs that taste like apples and cinnamon. Yummy! If I can pull this off and not kill them all I might consider starting a cutting garden, too. Always been a dream of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment