Friday, October 19, 2012

Baby Led Sleeping

Yesterday I had a lovely long hike using the jogging stroller, then went to the farmer's market. It is so true that having even basic things to do to get yourself out of the house makes such a difference. In the meantime, my search for part time daycare has come up pretty empty - I even went through one of those websites that lists every facility in the city and checked their websites one by one, and called the ones that didn't have enough information. What I'm finding is that 99% of them don't take children under 2. And those that do require a minimum of two full days, usually at a cost of $600 + a month. I am going to tour a Catholic-run place that seems to offer more flexible schedules, but I'm a little concerned about it because a) it's in a horrible neighborhood, and b) when you call, the phone message talks mainly about their "treatment program" which makes me wonder if this isn't actually some sort of center for teenaged drug addicted mothers to drop their kids...not that there's anything technically wrong with that, but still...if you had the choice, would you choose to leave your infant at a place that doubles as a drug rehab? Probably not.

So my Baby Kennel is still in the running as 1st choice. I always find it oddly gratifying when your first idea turns out to be the best idea. One good thing about all this research, though, is I found tons of amazing preschools, when the time comes!

It's been posited to me to just engage a sitter to come over and watch him while I go hang out - but that does remove the whole point of wanting him to have new experiences and interact with other kids, which will get more and more important as he grows. Believe it or not, this really is more about him than me - otherwise yes, just having someone come over would be far cheaper and more convenient.

I was thinking yesterday about how when my event rolls around how great it'll be to have that time for work - those intensive computer projects that drag on for hours and require total concentration, like editing this year's Hall of Fame video. Yeah, kind of can't have a toddler running around during that. So even if I choose not to enlist extra care right now, I will need it in a few months for sure.

In the meantime I joined a couple of local meetup groups for moms, so maybe getting me out of the house once or twice a week to do fun local things will help me. Anyway with the holidays coming up I'm hoping to keep fairly busy.

My yard is done! It's been a dream of mine for years to replant it, and now it's done. Of course now it just looks like a few spindly little plants sticking out of bark - but when it all grows in, ah! And all succulents, so they'll stay green no matter what. So pleased with it.

On the sleep front, I've kind of been doing my own version of Baby-Led Sleeping, and it's been very interesting. One night he conked out at 6:30 and I built him a little fort on the couch to sleep in; some nights I take him to bed with me at 9 (like last night when I wanted to watch the documentary about Ethel Kennedy), some nights at 11 or later. And you know what? He sleeps exactly the same no matter what - up a few times to eat, then up for good around 8:30 AM. I guess it shows nobody knows nothing when it comes to babies' sleep. Just go with their cues and you'll be fine!

1 comment:

  1. Love the garden! I have been having sleep issues with Elena this past week & I start to beat myself up that I must be doing something wrong but then what you said about just going with the cues, that is inevitably what I do after trying & failing at all the expert advice!

    ReplyDelete