Friday, April 12, 2024

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Two nights ago Bobby casually dropped an information packet on my bed in which I discovered we have to pick all his classes and electives for 7th grade RIGHT NOW. I freaked out slightly, but watched the infographic they had set up on the website and he and I went through the choices together. He had the option of picking honors or regular subjects - with the understanding that honors would require more work on his part. He chose honors math, and a college-prep STEM thing, but otherwise no other honors. I think that’s smart - I don’t want him to burn out right out of the gate. We have no idea what this new experience will be like; best to be conservative at the moment. I was such a language and writing kid, it’s hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that these kids are brilliant at math and loathe pretty much everything else. 

For electives, naturally I would have loved for Bobby to get back into playing an instrument, but he wasn’t all that interested. He wanted the art and animation classes, with band a distant third. He may end up in it anyway. But I’m still traumatized from our violin experience, so I’m not about to push that on him unless he personally wants it. 

It’s wild to think these choices we made in April will be his life next year, and he won’t know until the first day of school what he got! I looked at the current bell schedule, and it’s going to be interesting - Theo will get out at 2:38 (unless he has a club) but Bobby doesn’t get out until 3:30. I’m not sure what to do with that difference. I think there’s going to be a lot of sitting around in cars the next two years. It’s not enough time to reasonably shuttle one kid home to go get the other; and with Theo out earlier, he’d have to be the one to walk over to Bobby’s school if I wanted to pick them up together, and I’m not crazy about the idea of 10-year-old Theo crossing busy streets and then hanging around a high school by himself waiting for his brother. Anyway. I’ll figure out a system, like I always do. Most likely, sit around in the car for 45 minutes waiting for Bobby. 

In other news, diet is slow and steady. As of Monday it’ll be two weeks, and I’m down three pounds. I wish it were more, considering how aggressive I’m being currently, but I know this is a healthy rate of weight loss and I should be happy about that. I don’t feel like I can really start celebrating until I hit the five pound mark. Then it actually means something. I could have lost three pounds by doing absolutely nothing. 

This week I worked on the expanded schedule for 2025. I’m having a lot of anxiety over the customers’ reaction to the news - I imagine it’ll be mostly positive, but what if it backfires, and people feel like it’s too much of a commitment and they want to just skip it entirely? I called the hotel to reduce the amount of guest rooms on opening night just in case. It’s hard trying a new thing. The last time I did this was moving to Labor Day, which was in 2013. So it’s been a long time since I’ve made any changes. I would hope that not raising the prices would help if anyone had objections, plus knowing there’s an added day a year in advance. It’s odd to think that this will be our lives from now on - heading to the hotel Wednesday night, getting kids to school and picking them up Thursday while we set up all day, four full days of classes and contests. It’s a lot, to say the least. And with shifting things off of the night dances and expanding some things, I’m not really adding anything new, per se, just spreading out existing things, which bugs me. It’ll be interesting to see how the vibe changes with more downtime during the day. My hope is it feels less frantic and people can relax and have more hang time. I’m glad I have one more event this year on our usual schedule while we adjust to Bobby’s new life. Both things changing in the same year might be a bit much. 




No comments:

Post a Comment