Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Almost

I am counting the seconds until my customer service days are over - just two more full days, then we’re off to the hotel. As per usual, we will be enduring a wicked heat spell all weekend and in to next week, so we’ll be carrying heavy boxes up and down stairs for hours in the sun in triple digit temperatures tomorrow and Tuesday. Sigh.

Things got a bit messy the last few days as people started trickling in mentioning that they didn’t realize we are requiring boosters - and of course it’s too late to get one. I don’t know why you wouldn’t check a thing like this…but to be fair, in following my epidemiologist friend’s advice, I had just said we’d be “following CDC guidance” as far as what constitutes “fully vaccinated” with a link to their website; even though I mention boosters as well, I can see how this was confusing. Again, you’d think this is something you’d check…and on the actual registration form it does say we require boosters if you’re eligible. But, here we are dealing with human behavior again - people don’t check these things, make assumptions, and then panic and ask for an exception at the last minute. At first I just said no and refunded people…but then it became too many people, and then I thought what if literally hundreds of people just show up with no booster…then what?? And this could very likely happen. So I’m having to pivot and make a contingency plan. I’ve reached out to those I already turned away. It’s a mess.

I wasn’t planning on telling the H about this because he’s against my policy to begin with and has told me over and over how stupid it is and how I need to just drop it. This has lead to many unpleasant conversations as you can imagine. A) I’m following the advice of an actual epidemiologist, B) I can’t pull the rug out from under everyone at the last minute and reverse my vaccine policy, and C) this is the standard of all other dance events right now. So as much as I agree that everyone can catch and spread covid so vaccine mandates are totally useless, I have to stick with what I’ve promised people. Anyway, last night he could tell I was stressing out and asked what was wrong and of course I had to tell him, and of course he started in with, “I told you that whole policy should have been dropped weeks ago-“ and I cut him off telling him he seriously has to stop saying that and I need some fucking support right now. For as much as his male everything-has-to-be-based-on-logic-with-no-nuance thing can drive me utterly bonkers, thankfully when I speak up and tell him that I need support and not criticism, he gets it. It reminds me of that time we stayed up on Mt Baldy and the guy working the chair lift went off on me for stepping in the way of the chair to pull Theo out of danger - just yelling at me like I was a fucking idiot for not wanting my kid to get brained by a giant metal chair - and then when I went to the then BF to tell him how upset I was for being yelled at like that, he just said the guy was right. I was crushed. This was the kind of shit my mother used to do with me -zero support or comfort, just always, “well what were you doing doing that anyway?” I was attacked on the street once by a gang of kids and all she could say to me, in that very boomer mom kind of way, was that it was my fault for being there and I brought it on myself for “shaking my cute little ass”. Yes, she said that to me. Later she tried to comfort me but I just shook her off. So, suffice it to say, I am extremely triggered when the person closest to me does not support me when I’m in trouble and insists it’s my fault!! Thankfully he got it when I told him this - he’s cool like that - and the conversation turned from derision and blame to working on practical solutions. It’s a work in progress. 

For now I have just endless refund requests to handle (I cannot WAIT to reinstate my no refunds policy - I’m literally refunding thousands of dollars to people because their kid has a baseball game) and a few last minute details and then we’re off. Pray for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment