Thursday, January 31, 2019

Last day of last year’s money

Registration for my 22nd event opens tomorrow night. It’s definitely one of the more panicky event openers I’ve experienced. So many new things - new website, new registration system, new everything. Yesterday I got pretty worked up about it - spent the whole day pulling my hair out trying to fix all the issues, finally reaching out to the guy who transported my website from squarespace to Wordpress, who said he could set up a page for me that would automatically load at 8 PM tomorrow so I could just basically flip a switch. It’s so hard because you have to think ahead to a million possibilities and put yourself into the mind of your customers - is this easy to read? Does it make sense? Will they try to do this if they don’t see this, and then how do you help them get back on track? Will this cause confusion? Will they be able to cheat the system? 

After stressing out about it all week I think I finally got all the issues that I could possibly anticipate at this moment. The one big unknown is what will happen after we open - how the whole back end part works as far as keeping track of people, running reports, etc. It’s all new. I hate new things.

The kitchen is limping along. Yesterday they were supposed to install the sink...until they discovered it had a big chip in one corner. After some back and forth it was decided to install it anyway and try to fix it or get a replacement later, just so I can finally get out of the utility sink. They are working on the dishwasher now. Stove vent has been installed. I believe the plan is to move the stove into place and refrigerator as well by the weekend...maybe. Replacement windows due in about a week, and then the majority of the work can continue. I don’t expect the kitchen to be done and useable until closer to the end of February, however. 

I’m going to ask that my kitchen designer, who’s made countless errors and sent this project two months over schedule, at least buy back the custom sink I ordered that now doesn’t fit, and take it off my hands. That’s $700 off my bill. I think that’s more than reasonable. That’s going to be a fun conversation. 

Bobby continues to be poop-free. I’m not entirely convinced anything has changed except that we’ve trained his body to only poo in the morning and after dinner. He still won’t go at school - but if his body doesn’t need to then it doesn’t matter. He says he’s getting feeling back but I don’t know if he’s just saying that because it’s what I say. Anyway, I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. If he’s not pooping his pants, that’s all I ask. Every day after school I ask him how’s his butt, and he rolls his eyes and says, “fine...”. That’s far better than his usual sheepish grin which tells me he pooped again. 

We had quite a nice day Tuesday when I had to pick him up from school because his violin lesson was canceled but it was too late for afterschool. So I hiked up to school to get him, we walked home, then went to a farmer’s market and got some produce and juices. It was one of those fun mother-son days, the type I wish we could have every day, and I’m sure he does, too. Alas, things can’t always be so idyllic. That’s family life for you (or really, life in general). 

Today my period started and my house is full of strange men clomping around, so I’m hiding out in the bedroom watching Australian dating shows and knitting while listening to the pouring rain. It’s pretty nice. The calm before the storm?




1 comment: