Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Christmas - it’s over!

I can’t get those decorations down fast enough, ha ha. Our tree has been dead for weeks, dropping ornaments like bad puns. With all of us cramped and squeezed together not having a kitchen or much of a dining room, the decorations, while festive, have only added to the claustrophobic and chaotic feeling here. I start the dismantling in T minus 30 minutes.

So, I have survived yet another Holiday Trifecta. And they were all good. Bobby is at the age where he may actually remember this one; Theo, not so much. I’m always shocked when I remember just how young Theo still is. I can’t believe I still have a four-year-old. He’s technically a preschooler, only potty trained a couple of years, still needing to be assisted with just about everything. I feel like I’ve been a parent for a thousand years. 

We had a relaxed day, just opening presents and futzing around the house, then going to see the Transformer movie at night, then the boys to bed and the BF and I watched a surfing documentary. It’s a lot easier than what most people deal with on Christmas - travel, dealing with contentious family members, etc. But I have to admit even with the low expectations put on me this year I was surprised by how disorganized I was; I had made no plans at all for what we were going to eat all day. I guess not having a kitchen, the thought of meals was furthest from my mind. And believe it or not, I never cook for all four of us; the BF is pretty much never here for dinner, and if he is he typically orders out for us. So with most places closed yesterday we were stuck with shitty fast food for lunch and dinner. Also, a kitchen would have given me something to do - I could have engaged the kids in some cookie making and/or spent most of the day blissfully on meal prep, maybe invited some people over. Instead I sat on my phone pretty much all day until I had a headache (something I do not enjoy doing, btw) while the boys played with their new toys and the BF played with the sound system I bought him. I wish we could have gotten in the hot tub, but my pool is not functioning at the moment due to a broken filter system (yet another thing that was supposed to be fixed by Christmas but wasn’t). Oh well. Let’s hope in future years I’ll have more emotional energy to invest in meal planning and inviting people over and things like that. This year, for many reasons, I just wasn’t up for any of it. I’m sure nobody noticed but me. 

Today I have a training session for my new registration system, then I have a Skype session with the guy revising my website so I can finally put up the information for next year and start hyping up my registration open which is merely a month away. This should have been done a couple of months ago and I feel like I really dropped the ball - with all the buzz around my viral video clip, I’ve had some interest as far as emails asking for information, and it’s very possible many people went to my website, saw no information, and forgot about it. Also, with the other event I was next to moving months away and 2019 most likely the scene of a huge financial crash, I’m ready for it to be a bit of a down year, or worse. At least I have no major home renovation plans in the works - I would like to get my garden in working order, but that’s about it. It will be nice to have a break from all that, as much as I do not relish the prospect of financial insecurity.

So now two more weeks of school break, New Years (again, no plans for four days of weekend/no winter camp, sigh) and then probably a teachers’ strike of indeterminate length. Well, at least the kitchen will have some progress by mid-January...right?




No comments:

Post a Comment