Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Slacker

When I read all the cute/fun things you gals do with/for your babies, I feel like a total slacker mom. Now that my event has been over for a month, you'd think I would make time to a) knit or sew something cute for Bumpus, b) start reading to him, or at least c) keep the freakin' house clean for him. Nope.

Here is a list of things I feel guilty about not doing:

Singing. Oh, don't get me wrong, I sing all day long, but mostly just variations on our two hit singles - "Breastasiz" (the breast feeding song), and "Baby Boogies" (the stuffed-up nose baby song). But my high-falootin' ideas of learning and using awesome vintage lullabies has yet to be realized.

Reading. As noted, I have not started reading to the baby yet. He does, however, appear to enjoy watching The Real Housewives with me.

Bathing. In Bumpus' nearly six months on the outside, I have given him a total of two sponge baths and two real baths - one that involved him screaming like he was being murdered in the kitchen sink, and one in the actual bathtub with mommy that went slightly better.

Tummy time. I have completely ignored the amazing tummy mat thingee with all the cute suspended marine-themed items designed to stimulate the Bumpus and help his brain develop, preferring instead to put him on a thin blanket on the hard floor where he can roll into the sharp locks on my steamer trunk or slowly back into the fireplace.

Cute outfits. I have bought Bumpus no clothes. He is still wearing his newborn onesies, many of which barely snap anymore, and nearly all of which are riddled with cute little shit stains. He has worn one pair of socks.

I have not filled in his baby book. I'm not even sure where it is, to be honest.

I have not gotten any prints from my maternity shoot.

Still, he gets his loving mama kissing him and squeezing him all day until his head nearly explodes, who loves to play with him, comfort him, and make him smile. Hopefully all of this will make up for my other shortcomings.

I am going to get us into baby swim classes next week, so I'm not a total slacker!

3 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't start reading to Elena until she was closer to a year...I tried early on & just felt stupid since really it was just my voice she enjoyed, not the stories so I ended up just reading allowed the stuff that I wanted to read, like blogs, The Hunger Games Trilogy & many other things like that.

    The only thing I would worry about if I were you is the Baby Book...find it! Fill it in! It's one thing you'll regret down the road if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isaac gets a bath pretty much every night. First of all it calms him down a ton. Secondly, he spits up so much that he tends to smell like some kind of cheap romano cheese. I enjoy this quiet time at night because of the eye contact and smiles...and the yummy baby powder scented soap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. honestly, i think most of those (okay, all of those) supposed enrichment activities are for the parents. if you don't feel the need, don't worry about it!

    as for baths, well, when he starts to stink, you will feel more motivated. or when he starts to crawl and gets filthy. or not. he won't die of dirtiness.

    if you interact and smile and talk to him, that's what matters!

    ReplyDelete