Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A day in the life

When I used to keep journals as a young girl, from time to time I'd write out my daily schedule just for posterity, and it was kind of fascinating to go back and read it. Since things have gotten into a pseudo routine around here (as opposed to the free for all that resembled a bit the acid trip scene from Easy Rider that my days were in the first few weeks) I thought it might be fun to do a little run down.

Life with Bumpus at two months:

10:30-11:30 - wakey wakey. Honestly I've usually been up or semi-up for some hours at this point, and have very sore nipples from the 4 AM - 10 AM feeding frenzy that usually occurs.

Play with baby on the bed, change night diaper. Have cereal on bed, let dog lick bowl. Try to prevent dog from stepping on baby's face as dog runs around bed excited about cereal.

Put baby, still swaddled, in swing in bathroom while I brush teeth, shower, dress, do hair and put on makeup.

12:00-3:00 - either feed baby while working on computer or run errands or hike. Put baby in carrier to walk dog, keep baby in carrier so I can make lunch, empty dishwasher, do dishes.

5:00 - 11:00 - sit on couch while feeding baby, watching TV, fiddling with phone, doing work. Cook dinner around 9 PM, hopefully get to eat it.

11:00 - 12:00 - bed time. Last diaper change, swaddle baby, nurse to sleep. Usually sleep until about 4 or 5, then baby wants to nurse a lot until morning.

Rinse & repeat!

It's a pretty awesome life, I have to admit. The amount of time he is happy and alert increases by the day - I'm kind of not used to him just being content for a half hour or hour at a time; I don't really know what to do with myself when this happens, but I try to take full advantage, like by cooking something or straightening up or doing some paperwork. My event is ramping up by the day, so I need all the free time I can get!

In the meantime, he has discovered his hands:

2 comments:

  1. Wow! He really is so alert! You do such a great job of catching neat expressions on his face. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a pretty great routine. I wish I had swaddled for longer, I don't know what happened because I had intended to...must be that Easy Rider acid trip blur

    ReplyDelete