Monday, November 2, 2020

Covidween

We had our Halloween camping trip. It was a pleasant escape from our current frightening reality. We did an egg hunt for candy around the campsite, and well meaning neighboring campers brought by grab bags which made us cringe with infection fears. As we were leaving we thought we had scored an awesome giant tent that was left behind for hours on an empty campsite - only to have the owners come roaring in as we were packing it up; apparently they’d left this one thing to pack up and went fishing. Thankfully they were good sports about it and we apologized profusely. I always wonder how these situations would play out were we not white. I’m going to guess not so great. 

We came home to our corner grocery store boarded up in anticipation of Election Day violence, a sober reminder of what an absolute mess our country is right now, and how truly scary the next few months are going to be. I’ve never seen anything like it. None of us have, unless you’ve been through a war. 

And here we are, tomorrow is the big day - although whether we’ll have any inkling of the winner is as of yet unknown. I have faith we’ll make it. But as with all things I could be wrong. Still, I’ve had so much anticipatory anxiety about this that I’m pretty much worn out. The well is dry. Whatever happens, happens. I voted ages ago; I did my part. Now, we wait. While still trying to get two kids through school and keeping a household running. It’s not easy. Grateful for the distraction, though, to be honest. 




No comments:

Post a Comment