Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter hijinks

I have survived my first spring break. I ended up caving and registering Bobby for a spring camp at his local rec center - which he only attended for three days due to developing pink eye. Still, it kept me sane for what will be ten days of (nearly) non-stop child care. One more day off school tomorrow and then normal schedules resume Tuesday. Can’t wait to get back to focusing on work and other non-child centric concerns.

We went to two super fun neighborhood egg hunts on Sat, then did an at home one today, then did our usuals playground-drive around so Theo can nap-play at home-dinner-bedtime thing. 



The other thing I’ve been attempting this week, since we don’t have to get up and go anywhere important, is getting Bobby out of pull-ups at night. I have very mixed feelings about it. Most people who commented on a post where I asked about this “night training” process said to leave it alone and wait until he just stays dry of his own accord; but one person said she felt like keeping pull-ups on her kid kept him peeing all night and once she took them off and woke him at night to pee that it worked. I know that with daytime potty training B would have been happy to stay in diapers forever - I remember one day putting a diaper on my tall, skinny almost four-year-old and thinking, “what the hell am I doing? This is ridiculous!” and just cold-turkeying it from there (although to be fair he was already potty trained at school). When we were kids nobody was in pull-ups until seven or eight years old. What the hell is going on? So, with mixed results I’ve been having him sleep in underwear and the BF wakes him to pee in the middle of the night when he gets home from work. Some nights he’s dry, some he wakes up a little wet. I haven’t had to change sheets yet. But now that this is what we’re doing, I am loath to regress back to pull-ups, even though I don’t think he’s “getting it”; I think it’s just been pure luck on the nights he’s been dry. Maybe I’m entirely wrong and I should just keep him in pull-ups until something just clicks and he starts staying dry all night. But I seriously wonder if that will ever happen - even now he’s so used to just peeing while lying in bed, if I ask him what he’s supposed to do when he feels like he needs to pee, he says, “just pee!” I feel like I need to keep trying this method and just take it day by day. I cannot tell you how I long to be free of all diapers once and for all! 







2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the transition out of pull-ups! There are actually alarms you can buy that are triggered by moisture, that can help with training a child to wake up. If it seems like he's really not making progress. But hopefully he'll get it on his own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with night training!

    I tried it a couple times with Calliope and it didn't work but I always wonder if I did something wrong, potty trained her too early or something. I might have stuck it out longer if it didn't involve setting an alarm for me at night. Waking her at my own bedtime didn't seem to help much. She's 6.5 and still in night time pull ups. I kind of despair about it.

    Amelie has the occasional dry night and i wonder if it would make sense to do something proactive about it but again, sleep always seems to take the priority.

    so envious of all the folks whose kids just naturally did this at 3 or so. my kids did NOT get that gene! despite potty training pretty young. :(

    ReplyDelete