Friday, March 16, 2018

Easter, birthdays and kitchens

I’m preparing for a bit of a marathon coming up. We have one more week of school, then a week off (I’ve decided to put my big girl pants on and not book a “spring camp” for Bobby and instead keep him home all week...I may come to regret this decision...), sister comes to visit, the boys’ big dual birthday party on the 24th, and then Easter the weekend after. 

I’m glad I kept the boys’ party for them both and didn’t rely on Bobby’s kindergarten friends to fill out his party; only six kids are coming out of his 25 kid class. Now that I know what the returns are on these whole-class invites, it will help me to plan in future years. It will be a big party between Theo’s preschool friends, Bobby’s friends, and all our dance friends. I only just this week got a chance to sit down and do some party planning/designing; it makes me sad when I think of how much time and effort I used to be able to devote to their parties in past years. I think it goes to show how, despite technically having more hours in the day to myself these days, my days are so full and my brain so crowded with complex, emotional “older kid” stuff, that extras like party planning end up lost in the shuffle. I do the best I can, but yeah...some things just don’t get the attention they used to. 

In other news, I’ve decided to forge ahead with my kitchen remodel, whether I can technically afford it or not. A little creative debt management and I should be able to do it without depriving myself of much needed cash in the bank (read: use of lines of credit). I also finally developed a concept for the room. As much as I was tempted to break down walls and go modern, I’ve decided to go the exact opposite route and go WAY back...to the 1920s. I live in a 1906 house, and the 20s was the first time kitchens began to resemble modern ones, with the advent of gas stoves, built in cabinets, and sinks similar to ones in use today. So I think the 20s is a good decade to focus on that would meld seamlessly with the rest of the house while still being functional. I’ve come to realize that the kitchen is my command station - it is my favorite room in the house - and I want it to be my private, pretty, functional space. So rather than opening it up to the rest of the house I may very well close it off even more by getting a swinging door for the doorway that’s currently open. 

I’ve been researching vintage stoves and am planning on getting one like this (technically 1930s, but who’s counting?) and having it reconditioned by local antique stove experts (I went to their shop and they said there’s no problem modernizing these stoves on the inside and making them safe and easy to use). It will serve as my design muse for the rest of the space as well. So - new kitchen, here we go! 




2 comments:

  1. How cool! Hope you take lots of before pics so you can show the transformation after...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a cool stove! I just finished my kitchen and I LOVE it. So great to have the kitchen of your dreams!

    ReplyDelete