Wednesday, January 24, 2018

March on!

I marched on Saturday. It was a really good experience - the organizers really had their act together this year; lots of extra staff in the subways, lots of toilets. I thought for sure there’d be way less people and the right wingers would have a good laugh at our expense - I was kind of obsessed with this fear, actually, as in the days leading up to the march it seemed like all of my friends one by one decided they were going to skip it this year. However, the march ended up being huge and very inspiring. I decided to wear a witch hat and cape in homage to the feminists of the 70s who would dress as witches during demonstrations. I had such a blast wearing it and got such good feedback that I decided my new women’s march persona is going to be Resistance Witch.

I’m oddly hopeful about our future - the blue wave coming in November, not to mention the countless pissed-off women who’ve been inspired to run for office. Once this whole Drumpf nightmare is over, is it possible we’ll actually be better off than we would have been? Anger can be a spectacular motivator.

The boys are doing well - I’ve planned their joint birthday at a bounce house/trampoline place where we attended a birthday party a few months ago. I feel like at 6 Bobby has outgrown the little kid playplace we’ve been using, and since I’ll be inviting all of his kindergarten class, I need to be prepared for any number of kids. Luckily this year Bobby’s birthday falls on a Saturday (March 24) so we’ll have it then. 

In three weeks we go join two other couples and six more kids at a cabin in the mountains. It’s been such a dry year that I’m worried there won’t be any snow, but I’m sure it’ll be a crazy good time. I’m also trying to plot out a family trip to Hawaii this summer, using the free flights we got from delays last summer. It will be the first time traveling with two kids since that disastrous trip when Theo was a baby. I can only hope travel with a six-year-old and four-year-old (not to mention another adult) will be dramatically different. 

But everything depends on how my event goes this year. I open for registration in just a week. My money has nearly run out. This year is a total wild card - the year after a big anniversary year; who the hell knows? I estimate I’ll lose 200-300 people to be back where I was the year before; but I could lose more, or I could keep my numbers up, which would be amazing. No plans can be made until after the 1st. 

I so hope I have a good opening night. Resistance Witch has bills to pay!

Edit: was able to add a picture!



2 comments:

  1. Hooray, thanks for marching! Where is the Resistance Witch picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried over and over to upload it but the system couldn’t upload any pictures. Ugh!

      Delete