Monday, August 15, 2022

First day

The boys are back in school! It was the first time since fall of 2019 that things had some semblance of normalcy - no Daily Pass, no lining up socially distanced, no masks. The kids were super confused that they could just walk right in. There was a certain amount of complaining and dread leading up to today, but I was glad that in the car they were happily buzzing about where their rooms would be and hoping they’d be close to each other. They were bouncing off the walls this morning which says to me there was some excitement about getting the school year going. I’m not thrilled about getting up an hour earlier, but boy does it feel good to be back.

I found out at a particularly chaotic new parent meet up on Saturday that they were able to get enough workers for the after school program so the boys can stay after all. So they’ll be walking home at 4 instead of 2:30. Huzzah.

We all got our boosters on Saturday. I held both boys on my lap since they were both a little scared. We bribed them with $5 if they didn’t freak out, and it worked. It’s too late to protect them during these two first weeks of school, which is most likely when they’d get it, but I figured better late than never. Most parents at the meet up were commenting they hadn’t boosted their kids yet. I got my fourth shot hopefully in time to protect me during my event which I am privately referring to as “covidpalooza”. Oh, just wait until I slide my “masks optional” policy on to the website on Friday. I don’t expect all hell to break loose necessarily, but I’d be surprised if I didn’t get any push back or refund requests. It’s ok - it’s going to be that kind of year. Everyone wants something different from me but in the end I have to do what’s best for me and my event, and people who feel so unsafe that they want everyone around them to wear masks regardless of how immune they are because pretty much everyone caught this thing in the last few weeks, well, those people probably shouldn’t go to a four day indoor dance event right now. 

I have three more weeks to get my act together before the big moment. I feel pretty good - things are under control, I just have a lot of printouts to make this week, including things I’ve never had to learn before, like creating QR codes, and more digging through boxes that have been collecting dust for two years. I definitely have plenty to keep me busy for three full weeks. 

There was a massive storm out in the desert over the weekend; we watched it on the security cameras. Non-stop lightning and torrential rain for a couple of hours. Apparently we got a year’s worth of rain in one night. Neighbors in the local FB group said they’d been in the area for fifty years and never seen anything like it. The wash immediately behind the cabin was raging, but I don’t think any water got inside the place. It’s hard to tell. I’m more worried about the slab being compromised - this is a house built on sand, after all. I wanted to go out there and check on the place, but the roads were pretty washed out and we were too busy yesterday to drop everything and go. Honestly I could head out there while the kids are in school, and might just do that, if I hear the roads are passable again. I could do with a solo road trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment