Monday, September 9, 2019

School daze

Tonight I survived my first attempt at helping Bobby do new math. Barely. I’m not one of these stodgy old people who says, “this is crap! They should learn it like we learned it!” because I know math is about teaching you how to think, not just memorizing times tables. So I get it. But not having been in a math class since the 80s - and that math having been entirely different from this math - well, it’s the blind leading the blind, really. 

It’s only been a handful of nights of doing full evenings with the kids - dinner, homework, violin practice - and I have to say...it’s rough. I don’t know why this was easier last year; maybe I was more in the zone and less exhausted and out of it than I am now. But it’s quite the marathon and quite like herding cats. I wish they were more independent...but they’re not, yet. 

Theo has decided he wants out of pull-ups at night...which means he’s been peeing in the bed all night every night. I am still at a complete loss as to how to get these kids night trained. Yes, even 7 1/2 year old Bobby is still in pull-ups. Everyone I talk to about it says their kids “just decided” they were ready and magically stopped peeing at night. What do you do if your kids never decide they’re ready? Am I going to be one of those people that has teenagers still in adult diapers at night? Out of desperation I’ve bought a “pee alarm”, since it appears the problem is these kids sleep so deeply that they just don’t wake up to pee or even when they’re wet and cold. They just don’t seem to notice or mind. What do you do with that?? I’m skeptical the pee alarm will work, but I feel like it’s one thing we haven’t tried, so why not? Maybe it’ll be a magic bullet, maybe not. Maybe one day they’ll just decide they’re ready. Who knows? 




2 comments:

  1. When my daughter was off pull=ups at night, I would have her use the bathroom before she went to bed (about 8pm), and then when I sleep about 11pm I wake her to go to the bathroom. Then she was good all night long. She is 6 yrs now and can hold it all night, however, I still do that on nights I feel she drank a bunch of water right before bed. She wakes without fuss and goes right back to sleep and most times does not even remember being woken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pee alarm worked for us! At 7.5. Took a good 3 months to be 100% done with it.

    Then the three year old was done in 3 nights. Go figure.

    Prepare for a few nights of rough sleep, though.

    ReplyDelete