Monday, April 22, 2019

Easter

Easter is now a bit like Halloween, where by the time the actual day arrives, we’ve celebrated so many times that I’m pretty much over it. We went to an egg hunt at Bobby’s afterschool that was actually three consecutive egg hunts; then one at the neighborhood meditation center (that’s pretty much the most LA thing ever), and then our traditional yard egg hunt on Easter. 

I picked up some stuff at the dollar store on Friday for Easter baskets. Being in the midst of my diet, I wisely only bought candy I can’t stand (although I freely admit in the last week I ate three Cadbury creme eggs and two crispy chocolate bunnies, slowing my weight loss to a dead halt). I never did dye eggs, or do any other crafts or special cooking or baking.

The question I ask myself all the time these days is, why do I never seem to have the kind of time I had when the kids were younger? I used to put so much thought and effort - entire Pinterest boards, for chrissakes - into every birthday and holiday; lately I feel like I’m just doing the bare minimum for everything. Am I being too hard on myself? Am I over it, already? Or am I just a lazy fuck who wants to watch trashy Australian reality shows on my phone all day? Maybe a little of all three? 

Either way, we had a nice day and Bobby said this was “the best Easter ever” which is high praise. 



Theo has been acting out a lot lately. Part of me is convinced it’s because he can feel his brother slipping away from him - as a younger sibling, I know that feeling well. Last night when I had Theo to myself for a minute I told him his brother would always be his best friend and that he was the most important person in Bobby’s life and always would be. I think he heard it...? I told Bobby today that Theo is sad because now he can do all sorts of things Theo can’t and that Theo misses him - in response, (I think), Bobby wrote this: 



Sometimes you feel like your little kids are non-empathetic, self-centered little sociopaths, and then they do something like this. Maybe I’m getting a few things right, after all, lack of dyeing eggs not withstanding! 

1 comment: