Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Kindergarten, here we come!

The moment I’ve waited for for ages is here - Theo is registered to start kindergarten at Bobby’s school in August. On the face of it, the changes are small - I get to sleep in 15 more minutes; I have one less drop-off and pickup location; I pay one less location for afterschool services. But even those small things will make a difference. I often think about how life would be today if I were still doing the preschool shuffle with Theo - noon pickups on Tuesdays and Thursdays, entertaining him alone for four hours on Mondays, driving him to two different schools on Wednesdays and Fridays, keeping him busy an hour and a half every day after dropping Bobby at school. Oh, it would have been terrible. I would have been so over it by now. Not to mention the $800 a month!

I *think* yesterday was the last day I’ll have resentful workers tromping around my house (I say resentful because they complained endlessly about how none of this finishing up stuff should have been their job - contractors just love denigrating each other). The job is not 100% done - I believe the outside of the windows still need painting. Final (hefty) payments still need to be made. I was waiting for them to clear their trash away from my yard to start this year’s edible garden...but I’m afraid it may already be too late. It may have to wait until fall. Oh well! 

Each day I clean things, rearrange things, and sort things. It’s a ton of work and half the time I just get fed up and start shoving things in drawers and closets because my brain can no longer handle any emotional decision making. I’m also in the process of separating my business and personal bank and credit card accounts, which is such a huge and tiresome job I can only devote an hour or two to it per day before I get fed up. 

But the kitchen is grand. I finally have a spot to display my collection of royal commemorative cups from the 1800s-1950s; I have a charming cuckoo clock that delights the children; the whole kitchen is bright and sunny and feminine and beautiful. 

Tomorrow my sister comes into town for the boys’ birthday party Sunday, and we’ll continue our tradition of improvising a theme cake (the theme this year is superheroes - super easy!). I don’t know when to separate their parties, if ever. Maybe next year with two full classes of kids to invite? Still, with Bobby’s entire class invited I think only about eight kids are actually showing up. Most parents didn’t bother to rsvp at all. Meh. Typical. 




1 comment:

  1. Yay to starting kindergarten! Plus more money and time. 👍🏼 Your kitchen sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete