Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Thailand

I’m back from Thailand. We all survived! I can breathe a big sigh of relief. The last of the big trips is over and now I can focus on Christmas, work, and home things.

As to Thailand, it was a good trip, but not great. I much prefer traveling to places that far away with a tour group - having to negotiate restaurants, getting around, and sightseeing all on your own is difficult. Luckily the friend I traveled with had just completed a dance workshop there, so the people who hired her were more than happy to entertain us for our days in Bangkok, then we went to Phuket on our own. 

The best day was the tour of the Phi Phi islands we booked - the water was crystal clear and the beaches white and clean. But the beach at our hotel wasn’t great, nor was the nearby city beach in Patong. We spent a lot of time at the giant shopping mall (don’t judge - the heat and humidity were so oppressive it was the only thing to do that didn’t make us want to pass out). My friend was really into getting massages, which to me was really just a half hour or hour of pain followed by not feeling any better than I had when I walked in. What can I say, I’m just not a massage person. 

So to be honest the trip for me was a bit meh. I’ve been to Cambodia and Vietnam before, so the exotic element wasn’t new to me, and if you’re looking for tropical and beaches there’s really no beating Hawaii in my opinion. Mostly it was just hot and dirty and exhausting, and I feel like I spent most of the trip in expensive cabs or in airports. I got sick one day but thankfully some medication helped; but the fear of being sick was with me always. And of course being away from the boys was stressful even though everything was fine here. 

I’m glad I went, but it wasn’t “amazing”. The last couple of days I have been struggling with jet lag and the shock of being thrown back in to caring for two rambunctious boys. I’ll lie down for a short nap and wake up four hours later. In my absence the kitchen floor was put down, but that’s it. Nothing this week. It’s a little frustrating, but I know when it starts up again it’ll happen all at once - the windows should be ready soon, and the cabinets.

Right now I’m playing chicken with my bank account. I still don’t know if I’m going to make it to Feb 1st. My sister is sending me a few thousand from our mother’s closed out bank account, but I’m not sure if it’ll be enough. My credit score has dropped 50 points because of carrying a high balance on my credit card, and I hate it. But I keep telling myself it’ll all be fine once registration opens and I can pay everything down. The kitchen will be done, the kids will be halfway through school, and everything will be better. 

For now, I’m gearing up for the final act of the holiday trifecta and trying to get my new website together. Maybe after one more nap. 




1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you didn't love Thailand. I've never been and I've always wanted to go but if you say it's not great... that's probably best for my bank account!

    ReplyDelete