Tuesday, June 2, 2015

0 for 3

Last night I was stalking CMB Guy's Twitter feed and was delighted he had mentioned he was meeting "a friend" for coffee Sunday night (me, of course), when the phone rang. My heart dropped. I knew if he was calling me that he had found out.

Yup. He googled me, found pictures of the kids, and doesn't want to see me anymore. Just like that. 

So, I learned something here. Just be upfront about the kids. Sure, you run the risk of attracting pedophiles as a friend warned me. But the much more likely scenario is this one - meeting someone you really like and really click with only to discover kids are an absolute deal breaker. Which to me is ridiculous. But I guess I have to understand some guys just feel that way and it's better to just never meet those guys. I was crushed and hurt and embarrassed. Then I had the fun of canceling the babysitter for Wednesday night I had hastily arranged. F...M...L.

So, let's recap, shall we? Wooed an old friend for five months only to have him shoot me down cold and in fact intimate that the very notion that we could ever date was absolutely ridiculous. Then met Craig's List Guy who was all over it for two weeks and then vanished. Now met Coffee Meets B.agel guy who was so smart and so funny and totally my type but who found out about my kids and told me he never wants to see me again (not as harsh as that, but that was the intent). Man, I'm on fire!

Spent the evening setting up profiles on Ok.cupid and POF mentioning the kids straight away and specifying I want to meet dads. It took all night and was exhausting. When I collapsed into bed at 1AM I had a raging headache and my head was spinning. 

The good news is, lots of guys are interested in me. And they know I have little kids and still want to meet me. One I texted with all day who said he'd call tonight when I can talk and another I've had a delightful exchange with. There are tons of others I haven't even had the chance to answer or reach out to. So many men, so little time. I was reluctant to put myself out there this openly; I kind of had to warm up to it. But now that I'm there it's really ok. I may never find a guy but at least it's entertainment for now and it's nice to know there are nice dads out there just looking for a kind, nurturing woman. 

My apologies if this blog takes a turn into dating land for a while. It's kind of the only interesting thing going on in my life unless you want to hear more about my refrigerator. I figure re-entering dating world is part of the single mom experience, so I can be a guinea pig for you gals who are thinking about it or aren't but would like to have a little shadenfreude in your day. Go for it!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you're sharing all of this! It is part of the single motherhood deal & having someone plot the course ahead of me is comforting so thanks to you for being the one to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with you for doing this! I would love to have a man in my life, but just do not have it in me to do the work. Glad to know the new avenues are looking promising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it did not work out with CMB guy , but I think its good to be upfront and lay the cards on the table. Look forward to reading more about your dating activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised he just called and said that. I guess it's better than disappearing, but still surprising!

    ReplyDelete