Saturday, November 3, 2012

What am I turning into???

I am doing crafts. You heard me. Go to the fabric store, buy special tools kind of crafts. And I joined Pinterest after avoiding it for months. I am suddenly inspired to make peppermint stick cupcakes, tin foil icicle decorations, and my own cheese.

I think it's the fact that a) I have tons of time on my hands, and b) it's the aforementioned Festive Season and I want Bumpus to have some holiday memories, dammit. There was a time when my mother cooked macrobiotic meals from scratch, made miniature paper dolls, and blew out the contents of eggs and made Christmas tree ornaments. I would like to channel those aspects of my mother if possible. The cooking part I've had down since high school, but the craft part still needs a little work.

My current project is Christmas stockings. So far they're turning out pretty cool. They're a lot of work and I don't really know what I'm doing, but I know one day I'll be really glad I made them.

So what constitutes a good mother? Is it one that hugs and kisses their child a lot? One that plays with him and makes up games? One that cooks and makes crafts? One that makes sure he's safe and warm and fed but that's it? I don't really know. I'm just figuring this thing out, day by day.

Here's some cute baby pics (and my pile of craft materials):

2 comments:

  1. Figuring it out day by day, that's what makes a good mom! Can't wait to see photos of your stockings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, nothing guarantees failure more than going into motherhood thinking you've already got it all figured out!

    ReplyDelete