Saturday, September 15, 2012

Time on my hands

Apart from dealing with the chimney sweep and a foundation inspection yesterday, I did absolutely nothing. Didn't even shower or wash my face (although I did brush my teeth). I thought about spending a nice afternoon by the pool...but the pool guy was in and out trying to figure out why the filter isn't working again, and it was so uncomfortably hot that it was quite painful being outside, and I just couldn't see that being good for Bumpus. So I kept us in in the AC and I just read and played with the boy and occasionally got up to make a meal. And that was it.

I often wonder what lazy days like that will be like as Bumpus gets bigger. For one I think there won't be days like that because we can go out and do things; right now there's not much point since he can't play yet. I see my mom friends looking to meet up at Disneyland, aquariums, museums, etc, and I sigh when I realize it'll be years before we can really join in with any of this. Once he's mobile and able to play there's so much we can do. But for now things are pretty much like my old single childless life; when a day comes by that I have no plans, I just kind of fester here, watching TV and over-eating out of boredom.

I let myself fester largely because I knew the rest of the weekend was going to be so active. Today I have until about 3:30 to muck about, then I have to get my butt in gear to go to the Hall of Fame dinner. Tomorrow I see a movie with my now pregnant former nemesis (who is sailing through her pregnancy without so much as a hint of nausea - how do people do that???).

Keeping the AC on at night because of the extreme heat has given me a little glimpse into the future. It's funny to think the whole time I've had Bumpus it's been warm, or warm-ish. But in a month or two, he will know cold. I'll need to keep socks on his little feet, a hat on when we go out, and "outerwear". He won't be able to sleep in just a diaper. In short, our whole routine will change. It's been chilly in my room at night because of the AC so we've been snuggled up together, which is really lovely. I remember there was one big rain storm when he was just a couple of weeks old where we got to snuggle all night...but of course he was so little then and crying all the time that it was quite a different experience. This time he'll be sleeping better, and we get to have a real winter, with holidays and fires in the fireplace and everything. It will be unlike any winter I've ever experienced before, that's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. You might be surprised how much he'll enjoy doing next year. Actually - even this year a few outings might be fun for him. Sure, it won't be as fun as when he's 4-5, but you'll both still enjoy it.

    I hope the heat breaks for you, soon. We're finally having a prolonged break from the heat and it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shannon. You'll be able to enjoy a lot of activities with Robert very soon. I know compared to last year I've done a ton of stuff with Elena & she's loved taking in all the new experiences. Plus there's lots of stuff you get to experience 1st over & over again as kids change & grow.

    ReplyDelete