Thursday, September 27, 2012

Boy energy

Yesterday we had swim lesson #2. It went far, far better than #1. I arrived with both of us dressed and greased up (sunscreen), brought the stroller, and came early. Bumpus enjoyed the water and didn't cry, and was ok when I held him apart from me. Next time I may bring his sunglasses, though, since the bright sun clearly bothers his eyes. I'm not sure how much actual swimming will take place in this class - it's mainly just singing songs and swooshing them around. Part of me feels like I could just do this at home - but hey, we're getting out of the house, right?

Speaking of house stuff, a cleaning lady is coming over Saturday to check out my house and give me an estimate. I liked how professional she was on the phone - but how professional she was made me wonder if I could afford her. I probably should have said, "hey, this is all I can afford per month," so she could decide whether or not to bother. But I'm afraid to be that blunt, and figured maybe we could negotiate once she's here. After all, I'm not opposed to keeping the place semi-clean on my own; it's the deep cleaning I don't want to do. We'll see what she says. Boy would it be nice to have a consistently clean home!

Last night I used a new sitter from my dance world while I went to my book club. When I got home it was apparent things had not gone well. The baby was asleep in a pile of pillows on the couch, which was fine, but she looked a little frazzled, and there was a pile of diapers on the nursery floor. She explained it had been a rough night - he had napped and then freaked out when he woke up and she wasn't me (this happens from time to time); when she went to change him he peed all over her and everything else (hence the diapers on the floor that apparently were drying off there). She didn't say as much, but I could tell he had screamed all night. The poor thing didn't even get a chance to use the bathroom!

It does make one wonder. He was totally fine with the other new sitter last time who he'd never even met before. Was it just a better day for him? Was he responding to the person's energy? We have had a few rough sleeping nights in a row, and last night was no different, nursing probably every couple of hours. Is he in a growth spurt? I'd love to blame vaccines but he gets them today. Anyway, I'll need to use her again in a couple of weeks but I think I'll give her a few days to recover before asking her!

He's starting to be a real boy lately. He's strong as heck and can do me real damage - kicking and slapping and clonking me in the head. It's all in good fun of course, but it certainly gives me a window into the future. First, he's a kid, and kids are just wild and messy and destructive. And next he's a boy, which means double all that (although less emotional drama probably). I understand now why people don't want to have kids when they're older because they "just won't have the energy". It is a young person's game, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment