Wednesday, December 21, 2011

You're crowding me, lady


This is what I feel like my son says every time I lean over and he starts kicking.  Speaking of feeling crowded, I have now arranged all the furniture in the nursery and…I freakin’ hate it!  The furniture is all on top of each other and it’s not set up for any kind of work flow and it SUCKS.  And I have a friend bringing over a glider and ottoman at some point, and there is literally not a square inch of space for this item.  Also, sorry N, but I hate the colors I picked.  Maybe it’s just the lighting, so I’ll give it a little time and maybe get brighter lights in the overhead light, but it’s just so dark and gloomy in there.  And I don’t think “dark” and “gloomy” are terms any mother puts on her vision board for her nursery!  Again, it’s not like it’s really his “room” like a real closed off room would be, it’s just a place to hold his stuff & change him.  But it’s bumming me out. 

What am I going to do about it?  Well, I’ll sit with the colors for a couple of weeks (no time between now and New Year’s to deal with this anyway) because I may change my mind.  But as far as the furniture – I think the only thing to do is sell my lovely 1930’s club set, whose sofa is taking up residence in there.  It takes up a whole wall, needs to be slip covered, and now with a smaller living room, the two chairs are also crowding the living room.  Ever since I stopped using this set as my primary seating for the living room, I’ve been shifting it around helplessly not knowing where to put it.  I love the thing but I just don’t have the space.  So now I have to figure out how to sell it.  A preliminary glimpse at Craig’s List and Ebay doesn’t yield anything at all similar I can base a price off of.  I bought it in 1997 when I started work at Paramount as a celebratory splurge piece.  Could I get a couple thousand for it…?  Maybe.  And if I get even half that it could just be the solution to my money problems.  So I will give selling it a shot after the holidays, and hopefully the freed-up space and money will give me a little breathing room.

In other nursery woes I picked up my 1940’s baby buggy yesterday and am having a bit of buyer’s remorse.  It’s a beautiful item, don’t get me wrong.  But it’s HUGE and HEAVY.  Again, takes up pretty much an entire wall in the nursery, and can’t be stored in the car or down near the street so I can actually use it.  Put together it weighs about 60 lbs; separated each piece is about 30 lbs which is already over the limit of what I feel comfortable carrying right now.  I wish I had it instead of the crib…but there you go.  For ten years I’ve had this problem of bringing things into this house thinking they’ll fit just fine, and discovering the house is infinitely smaller than I ever remember it being.  I’ll never forget my old sectional sofa that I bought because it was the smallest one in the store – I get it home and it literally takes up the entire living room, blocking doorways and windows.  What a nightmare!  I always forget that everything that comes in here has to be tiny otherwise it overwhelms everything. 

Anyway, don’t think I’m stressing out about this stuff.  It’ll all get fixed, and luckily I have plenty of time to change my mind about things and/or rearrange until I’m happy.  It just kind of cracks me up all the mistakes I’ve made around here over the years – I’ve made decisions about remodeling/decorating that have literally cost thousands to fix or undo, all just because they were bad ideas to begin with.  I guess this is why people hire professionals!

In other news, in looking at my baby ticker I can't help but notice I am now in the double digits as opposed to triple digits - woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment