Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Desert dreaming, part 2

After weeks of scheming to find a proper desert contractor, reaching out to everyone I know including a brother-in-law in Massachusetts I haven’t seen in ten years who built his own home, I think I may have found someone. On Craig’s List, of all places. In their ad they specifically said they work in Wonder Valley (nobody does) and rehabbing off grid cabins is their thing, along with pictures of their current project. They have been quick to respond to all my emails and say they love this work. Their current project involves a full house of work - expanding a 400 sq foot derelict cabin to 600 sq ft, plumbing, electric, septic, kitchen, bathroom, lots of landscaping and grading work, for 68K. I’m a bit worried they will go over my budget, but when I think how basic our job is compared to that...ours would have to be less than half, no? They are going to head out this week and get me a bid. Unfortunately they won’t be around while we’re there this weekend (our Cambria cabin canceled on us due to double booking, so I set us up at the Boulder place in Joshua Tree again so we can go spy on the property) but I can see taking a school day sometime in the next couple of weeks to drive out there by myself. I’m beyond excited. I’ve been saving solar lighting and cactus decor to my Etsy favorites all day.

LAUSD has abandoned plans to extend the school year, hallelujah. So boys will start on Aug 17. Now I’m really glad I booked them to summer camp in the first couple of weeks of August! 

Tomorrow the BF and I will both get our second shots together. I’m not going to lie - I’m scared. I’m afraid of how sick we’ll feel, and how it may jeopardize our trip to the desert this weekend. I’m afraid of being nauseated (a friend of mine was for two weeks). I’m afraid it’ll be nearly impossible to drag my ass up to get the kids to school the next day and the day after. I feel good now and I don’t want to feel bad. But, we must do it. So here we go. Still so glad this long month of waiting for my second shot is over and we’re finally here; then to just wait two more weeks and I’m officially in the clear. That’s really a wonderful feeling. LA has reported zero deaths from covid for the last two days. 

On Saturday the BF told me he had to break down and ask me for help in picking out an engagement ring for me since he was simply stuck and afraid to get me something I wouldn’t like. I looked at some he had picked out (and it was too funny, since I have my own “engagement ring” favorite file on Etsy) and gave some direction. I know it’s kind of ruining his fun because he wants everything to be a surprise, but he also has been trying to find me a ring for years now and was smart to ask for help. I know I’m impossible to buy for, especially something like that. So, we may have an actual engagement on our hands soon. I kind of like the idea of getting married for the first time at 49 or 50. It definitely says you don’t rush into things!

And we might even be able to get married on the property! 




1 comment:

  1. That's great about the property, your second shots, and the engagement ring! A desert wedding would be gorgeous with the blue sky overhead. Hope you didn't have too hard a time with shot #2, and keep us all posted on your doings. I want to hear more about this atheist sleep-away that you mentioned in your last post. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete